Need some help... Charging system

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
dcombs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Need some help... Charging system

Post by dcombs »

Hi Guys,

Ok, I'm totally at a loss here and could really use some help with my 69' with a 318. Two weeks ago I noticed that my battery was charging at almost 16volts. I took it to O'reilly's and they tested the system and confirmed that my voltage regulator was messing up. They also said that the alternator was starting to show signs of wear and the battery was getting old. So, I bought all three - a new battery, vol. regulator and alternator. Hooked everything up and now I'm getting only 12v when the truck is running. I figured that either the alternator was bad or the voltage regulator was bad. I took them both off and went back to the parts store - they bench tested the alternator and it passed. They gave me a new regulator but I'm still getting the same results. I figured the alternator was just bad despite their bench test. So I went to Napa and bought a second alternator. Still getting the same results.

Then it occurred to me that the new alternator is a dual field. So I ran wire from the blank port to the ballast resistor - still only getting 12v when running. Then I tried grounding it to the alternator body - still only getting 12v.

I had another battery in the garage and threw that in to see if the new battery just wasn't charging. Nope, same results. I tested to see if I have a drain - but I don't.

What am I missing? Why can't I get it to charge?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Need some help... Charging system

Post by dodgeboykim »

Dual field will have power to both brush terminals. One when ign on and one constant. Is that how it is. And of course bat term on alt is straight to battery so that will be constant as well. :thinking

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Does it go up when you rev? Mine idles just under 12 but jumps to 13/14 when driving

dcombs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dcombs »

Wally, no - it stays 12v - 12.2v... Kim, the new alternator has two fld terminals. One has the green wire. Then there's my black wire (battery) to the bolt on the back. Should I make a new wire and run it from the second fld terminal to the black battery wire? Or should I run a wire from the battery directly to the second fld terminal?

Thanks,
Danny

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

The extra is typically grounded with a jumper to the alt case if you are not running the new style regulator :2cents

dcombs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dcombs »

Thanks, Kim. That's what I thought too and I tried that but it didn't work either.

Thanks,
Danny

gww
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: falcon

Post by gww »

did you get your charge problem worked out? sending my number, yell if ya need. gary
777s on all that have and all that do protect our freedoms.

dcombs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dcombs »

Sadly, no. I just put a third alternator on there - O'reillys replaced the first one I bought and I'm still getting the same result. I'm completely at a loss. I took the regulator apart - nothing is moving. I pushed the points together - nothing. Is there a fuse I'm missing or something? ANY thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to PM those of you who kindly sent me a message.

Thanks,
Danny

dcombs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dcombs »

Ok, gang. I think this is my problem...

Thoughts?
Danny

dcombs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dcombs »

Hi Gang,

Just wanted to provide an update and let you know that the charging system is now working. A big thank you to powerwagon54 and gww for spending some time on the phone with me yesterday to figure out what was wrong. Turns out I needed to make some new wires and replace my voltage regulator, again (that was the third one..)

I've got a temporary wire running right now directly to the battery just to get charging system working and I'll run a new permanent wire to get all my accessories back this weekend.

Thanks,
Danny

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Good deal. Bud is always a huge help.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

dcombs wrote:Hi Gang,

Just wanted to provide an update and let you know that the charging system is now working. A big thank you to powerwagon54 and gww for spending some time on the phone with me yesterday to figure out what was wrong.
Thanks,
Danny
Great to hear these guys helped you out. :clap :Thumbsup
John