more amps needed

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
rustyvango
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: knoxville
State: TN

more amps needed

Post by rustyvango »

so ,when im stopped at a light .and I have the headlights,heater,and wipers going. I can tell my 60 amp alt. isn't keeping up. oreilleys has a 78 amp "square back" alt. im considering making this up grade along with a 70 and up volt reg. the question is.... what if anything else should I change, or watch out for? im already running dual 1000 amp batterys and it helped tremendously. but now for more amps to charge them with.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: more amps needed

Post by dodgeboykim »

If you haven't upgrade your charging system circuit , You better do it before you turn your van into a barbeque. :banghead

rustyvango
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: knoxville
State: TN

Post by rustyvango »

dodgeboykim wrote:If you haven't upgrade your charging system circuit , You better do it before you turn your van into a barbeque. :banghead
care to elaborate,? I need to know what needs upgrading/changing. I would rather not burn it to the ground.please feel free to share ,as I need this upgrade.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

I am pretty sure the upgrade is this thread and the included link to the mad electrical site. The stock Dodge wiring runs the full power of the alt through the bulkhead and ammeter. The connections get dirty and heat up to the point of catching fire.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35551&p=258325&hil ... ss#p258325
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518