Random starter issue

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Random starter issue

Post by wally426ci »

Ive been having a random issue with my 68 D100 318 4speed. After stopping for a while, when i junp in to start it i get the slow crank like a dead battery. I stick with it (as in I don't let off of the key) and it speeds up and starts.

Twice it was after a 40 min drive hauling a load to the dump. Today it was after a short cruise.

Any ideas? I thought maybe a coincidence with heat but the last time it wasn't super hot. :thinking

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Random starter issue

Post by Jims68 »

Hmmm... dirty cables? Although, you've probably already thought of that. Otherwise... sounds like the starter needs a rebuild. I had mine rebuilt by a "starter/generator" shop.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I too am thinking starter. It's a 5 yr old NAPA part.

I just put this other battery in a short while back... I'll look into it this weekend.

Thanks Jim! :salut

dubs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chantilly
State: VA

Post by dubs »

Dirty/old cables could definitely be the culprit, but if they check clean, I'd agree that it's time for a rebuild/replacement. Repeated heat soak over years takes its toll, to the point that a spirited drive or a heavy haul can cause the bushings to get tight and difficult to turn.

I love the distinctive sound of the old mopar starters, but if you want to go with a compatible later model mini starter (same as chrysler has been using since the early 90s or so) that is more resistant to heat and kicks with a lot more power, I recommend this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Dodge-Plymo ... per+Torque

They also sell them on ebay. They're priced very reasonably, and fit everything from a slant to a big block (only thing I'm not sure of is a poly--maybe someone else could chime in for compatibility?). There's a plastic terminal block for later model cars that just unscrews, and you're left with the same two stud arrangement as every classic mopar starter I've seen.

I have one on my 72 charger, and love how fast it cranks and catches vs. the old design part. If the starter on my swepty ever gives up, I'll probably replace it with one of these.
1971 D100 LA 318ci, 1972 Charger B 400ci, 2010 Yaris 80ci, 1963 Sprite 67ci

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

The problem with buying a new "mini" starter is... our '68s have the 3 BOLT starter.
Jim

dubs
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chantilly
State: VA

Post by dubs »

Wow, thanks for the info. I just went to the interchange website and looked at some pictures... I'd never seen the mopar 3-bolt before. I guess that's what I get for only owning 70 and later cars. :thinking

Always more to learn! Thanks! :salut
1971 D100 LA 318ci, 1972 Charger B 400ci, 2010 Yaris 80ci, 1963 Sprite 67ci

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

dubs wrote:Wow, thanks for the info. I just went to the interchange website and looked at some pictures... I'd never seen the mopar 3-bolt before. I guess that's what I get for only owning 70 and later cars. :thinking

Always more to learn! Thanks! :salut
I think that the 1968 Sweptlines was the last year for those BIG 3 bolt jobs as it had something to do with the hydraulic bellhousing! Of course, they were used on the trucks, but the cars had the 2 bolt starters like you are familiar with.
Jim

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Then to mix it up a bit theirs the B B Starter for the 68 and older hydraulic bell housings. Also used till 73or 74 or 75 or so in the D/W/C series with B B hydraulic bell housing. What fun. :lol: