Giving props to search feature

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Giving props to search feature

Post by FlyingEagle »

I did something stupid, had problems, and then came here to see what was up. I did a search for alternator not charging and found the answer.

I did a 4 brl intake & carb swap on my LA318 today. I missed bolting the voltage reg ground wire back to the intake. After a few minutes of tuning, went to take off and saw smoke. The wire going from reg to resister melted. I found the problem, bolted the ground and replaced the wire. Wouldn't start. Ok, guess the reg fried. Lucky me I had a reg from the junkyard truck I got the electronic dizzy from. Installed and the truck fired up. I took off on a shakedown run. Everything seemed good, so I kept driving.
I got about 40 miles away and stopped for gas. It wouldn't start, dead battery. Found a nice guy in late model white Dodge truck to give me a jump. Checked alt with meter. 10.5 volts. Not charging. Lucky me, I have another alt in cab. Pulled over to a parking spot and swapped alts. Then found a guy in Volvo wagon to give me a jump. Did you know they put their batts in the trunk? Now you do. Got it started. Still 10.5 volts. This alt isn't charging. Hmm.
Well, I'm in the mtns on Memorial Day at 8:30 pm. Only thing to do is cross fingers & head for home. With headlights on. Thanks to the red top Optima & HEI, I made it home. Lights were dim & turn signals wouldn't work, but it ran. Hooked up charger & swapped alt again with one from engine I just bought. Still not charging. Went here & found answer. Single field alt won't charge with electronic voltage reg. Guess I'll stop at Napa in morning & see if they have a regulator.
So, thanks everyone for sharing knowledge.
Scott

'62 W200 w/LA318, 4spd (rescued from parts truck status)
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton- will drive it til I die