318 wont start when warm

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
lbman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Deming
State: WA

318 wont start when warm

Post by lbman »

Hi all,
well i went to wrecking yard and found plug connector and part of a wiring harness off an 80's dodge truck
installed the whole works on my 64 W200.. after getting close enough on the timing it fired up great and revs up like it never has before . real snappy.
i timed it with a light. and it will sit there and Idle perfect. runs great although i did have to compromise on timing advance. it does not like to start with anything more than a couple degrees advanced timing.
But ! if i turn it off or stall it it will Not want to start. I let it sit for a while and it will start fine.
now another ?
how would a 318 act if the Cam was getting bad or Low compression... i will do a compression test this weekend..motor has some rattles so i expect it to be low.
Thanks LB
LBMAN
64 W200 318 4 spd
63W200 slant 6 Military Ambulance "Red Neck RV"
82 Gold wing
i keep my guns at home locked and unloaded
I keep the one with me Locked and loaded

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Re: 318 wont start when warm

Post by kurt »

By not starting is it not cranking or it just won't start. The first case bad starter that doesn't work hot, worn timing chain causing exessive cranking ignition timing. In the second case make sure your carb is not dripping gas into the manifold when its hot and engine turned off.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

lbman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by lbman »

to date it has a new starter I pulled carb apart and cleaned it well with new gaskets and set the float, also new pumper.
i had a timing chain jump a tooth. I replace the timing set. made sure everything was lined up correct.
i will add,,,when it is cold it starts but with a lot of pumping of the gas pedal .
I thought gas was running back to the tank so I changed fuel pump also.a couple of years ago..it had a a leak.
I would like to put on a 4 barrel carb and manifold. but i really need to pull the motor and rebuild it. it does have a rattle in lower end when revved up and letting off gas..
starting to drive me a bit crazy...
thanks.
LB
LBMAN
64 W200 318 4 spd
82 Gold wing

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

If you installed a used electronic distributor in your truck, it might
be a bad distributor pick up coil. :idea :2cents
John

lbman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by lbman »

my luck for sure.
I thought the magnetic pickups in dist. worked or didn't work..
.my nephew told me of a place back east who makes gm HE distributors in which are made to fit dodge or fords...for $160.00..
I am pretty sure i am Over thinking this problem.
.I guess the thing is, the not starting when warm begin when the truck still had the original point dist. in it..but when i got it started it would run like crap. now at least once i get it started it runs great. :banghead
LBMAN
64 W200 318 4 spd
82 Gold wing