Ghetto HEI

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Ghetto HEI

Post by FlyingEagle »

Normally I wouldn't show off my hack jobs, but this turned out great. My '62 was running like crap & I was getting tired of points, so I went to salvage yard & grabbed the only electronic, non computer controlled distributor there. I got the ignition box, too. Went home & started looking it over. Since the aftermarket distributors are these with HEI control added, I figured I could do it. I'm a Chevy guy, so I have enough parts to build 4-5 HEI's laying around. Biggest question was how to mount the control module & coil. I came up with just leaving everything inside an HEI distributor. I had one that the shaft had locked up, so I cut the shaft off. Pulled the rotor & other unneeded crap out. So now I have the coil & module in a nice sealed enclosure. Got everything wired & turned the key. It started instantly & idled great. :dance
I still have to tidy up the wires & silicone the slot where the wires come out. Another good thing about my setup is that everything is out of the way of the distributor. Now the hold down bolt is easy to get to.

So, check out the pics & feel free to give me crap. :lol:
Attachments
DSCN3377.JPG
DSCN3378.JPG
DSCN3379.JPG
extra parts
extra parts
DSCN3381.JPG
Scott

'62 W200 w/LA318, 4spd (rescued from parts truck status)
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton- will drive it til I die

WAWII
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rolla
State: MO

Re: Ghetto HEI

Post by WAWII »

So you removed the voltage regulator as well?
Thanks,
Will

1946 Dodge Power Wagon http://powerwagon.wawii.com/46.html
1949 Dodge Power Wagon http://powerwagon.wawii.com/49.html
1953 Dodge M37 http://m37.wawii.com/
1964 Dodge W500 Fire Truck http://powerwagon.wawii.com/W500.htm
2006 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab http://wawii.com/My3500Megacab/index.htm

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

LOL! :lol:

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

I had a dual point dist. but not dual dist.. :lol:
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

"So you removed the voltage regulator as well?"
If you mean the one from yard, yes. Then I realized the ignition box was the blue one, so I took it all. I'm still getting used to external regs with alternators.

It does look crazy, but if it keeps working I'm happy. This is my offroader/daily driver, not a show truck. I have the Dodge stuff if I need it.
Scott

F6866
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Morgantown, WV

Post by F6866 »

I did the same thing without the gm distributor ... Hot wire fused from battery, spsd relay, hei module, hei coil, Mopar electronic distributor, jumped the resistor, and used the existing distributor wire as a relay trigger. I was able to then change the plug gap to .042 and retard the timing by 2 degrees. Smoothed out the engine and increased the mileage. Everything mounted on the inner fender. By the way it's on a slant six but same setup.

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

I left my timing at 8deg. Where did you set yours? I haven't run mine long enough to get an accurate mileage #, but about 12mpg so far. 3/4ton 4x4 w/ 4brl with mountain/city driving.
What did you put the module in? A remote coil is about $15-30 (stock application would be a '76 Nova w/6cyl) and I didn't have any sheet aluminum to fab a housing. I haven't seen the aftermarket distributor w/HEI module in person, so I'm not sure how they deal with heat from the module. GM used the distributor body as a heat sink. They even specified using heat sink grease. I figure I'm doing better than stock with no heat transfer from engine. Maybe GM went for overkill?
Scott

ftpequip
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: evergreen
State: TX

Post by ftpequip »

its funny a chevy boy actually admitting hei is junk by telling us how many junk distributors he has laying around. all that work and all you had to do was drop in the dodge electronic distributor and hook up two wires and you wouldn't have an extra distributor hanging off your firewall