Backup Lights for 1966 CSS

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Redcalumet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pleasant Lake
State: IN

Backup Lights for 1966 CSS

Post by Redcalumet »

I am installing factory original backup lights on my 1966 CSS with automatic transmission. My question is: Where is the backup light switch mounted? Does anyone have a switch or know a source? Thanks in advance for your help.
Jerry

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Re: Backup Lights for 1966 CSS

Post by JimE »

Its mounted on the transmission. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

Redcalumet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Redcalumet »

Is it a combination neutral safety/backup light switch or is a separate switch? Currently have a single terminal neutral switch.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

Redcalumet wrote:I am installing factory original backup lights on my 1966 CSS with automatic transmission. My question is: Where is the backup light switch mounted? Does anyone have a switch or know a source? Thanks in advance for your help.
Jerry
If it's a "shift on the dash", the reverse switch is on the shifter lever mechanism behind the dash. I believe they are the same switch that came on floor shifted automatics in cars then. Damned if I can find a replacement one, but haven't looked that hard and it doesn't show it in the FSM schematic.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Console-F ... d3&vxp=mtr
Attachments
100_2367a.jpg
Last edited by nytemuvr on Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Redcalumet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Redcalumet »

Yes, it is a dash mounted shifter. Should be simple once I get the switch mounted. Fuse block to switch, out of switch to reverse lights. Housing should be grounded to the body. I will look around a bit for a cheaper switch. Thanks for your help!

Jerry

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Redcalumet wrote:Yes, it is a dash mounted shifter. Should be simple once I get the switch mounted. Fuse block to switch, out of switch to reverse lights. Housing should be grounded to the body. I will look around a bit for a cheaper switch. Thanks for your help!

Jerry
BTW the power for it comes off the windshield wiper switch with shift on the dash, according to the schematic, but you should have a couple of extra fuseblock slots to tap into.....

Redcalumet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Redcalumet »

My 1966 Mopar service manual schematic doesn't show any backup light wiring, so I may as well go off the fuse block. I found the mtg location of the switch with the 2 small tapped holes. I bought a factory switch off eBay for $20 including freight so I will soon have backup lights. Now I will start researching seat belts. Literature says they should have been std but mine never had them. Mounting holes should have been on the vertical panel under the gas tank but they were not installed. My truck was made in September 1965 so it is an early truck but it has another odd delete. No inside rear view mirror. Never had one, no screw holes. The truck was special ordered with overload springs, west coast mirrors , small rear window for a camper. It had shocks with coil springs. Why they didn't just get a 3/4 Ton, I don't know. Also has power steering and the heavy duty gage package. Anyway, guess I will move to another technical forum to get help with the proper spacing of the seat belt anchors.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Redcalumet wrote:My 1966 Mopar service manual schematic doesn't show any backup light wiring, so I may as well go off the fuse block.
1967 was the 1st year for back up lights so they won't be in the 66 manual.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Redcalumet wrote:My 1966 Mopar service manual schematic doesn't show any backup light wiring, so I may as well go off the fuse block. I found the mtg location of the switch with the 2 small tapped holes. I bought a factory switch off eBay for $20 including freight so I will soon have backup lights. Now I will start researching seat belts. Literature says they should have been std but mine never had them. Mounting holes should have been on the vertical panel under the gas tank but they were not installed. My truck was made in September 1965 so it is an early truck but it has another odd delete. No inside rear view mirror. Never had one, no screw holes. The truck was special ordered with overload springs, west coast mirrors , small rear window for a camper. It had shocks with coil springs. Why they didn't just get a 3/4 Ton, I don't know. Also has power steering and the heavy duty gage package. Anyway, guess I will move to another technical forum to get help with the proper spacing of the seat belt anchors.
Hi....The dash shifted automatics are wired different than the column trannies. There's a factory rubber bullet connector(orange to black 16 ga. wire) that bypasses the reverse wire inside the cab, to a wire that led to the connector and though the firewall. The other trucks with column shifters ran around the inside of the cab and back out to the reverse wire. That is what is shown shown in the FSM schematic(they don't show the wiring for the dash mounted shifter in '67 or '68 FSM). Must be a schematic addendum or an update page on them at some point in there history. I'm assuming the earlier dash shifter FSM schematics doesn't show them or at least I could not find one. This "factory bypass" connector comes off the set of connectors on the farthest left bulk connector facing the engine bay/firewall, where the arrow is.
Attachments
100_2224a.jpg