Gas Gauge

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Gas Gauge

Post by cowboy »

I put a test light on my gas gauge wire at the tank , & it pulsates , like it was hooked up to a blinker , it's a 69 D100 , is this normal ? I also checked at the back of the gauge itself , & the light blue wire did the same , I chanhe the float with one from the 70 tank I have , gauge now go's to fuel & then back to empty with key on , or while driving :cry: , anyone please help, as this it my daily driver & I don't want to run out with my handi caped son with me
8)
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

geoholt3

Have you pulled the 69 sending unit out and inspected?

Post by geoholt3 »

Is all your wiring original and unbutchered? Have you pulled the 69 sending unit and inspected it? Does it pulsate with the truck sitting still? :?:

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

YES to ALL , I updated my ing system so I can leave the key on wothout burning up points , engine on or off on . the test light just blinks like I was testing blinkers , but as I was at the sending unit itself , thers no way to hit the wrong wire :roll: , so I might be looking for a good sending unit , thanks
8)
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

I need a little help here , can someone with a 69-71 D series , please take a few minints , to check the wire on a working gas gauge , with a test light just pull the wire ,get a good ground turn on key , & see if is a stede light or a pulsing light like a blinker , thanks in advance
8)
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

geoholt3

I'll check mine after work today.

Post by geoholt3 »

It's supposed to snow, but maybe it will hold off until I'm finished.

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

I'll try to do that this evening. The weather is nasty but this test is inside the cab!

geoholt3

Sorry

Post by geoholt3 »

I didn't get a chance last night. Something like that should be very easy to troubleshoot.
George

shearingmatt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shearingmatt »

Hey Cowboy (aka Clint??),
With my 66 and I think all swepts it is supposed to pulsate. Thats the way it works... don't ask. I don't know. As to going to full and back to empty while driving, no clue. How bad is it? Mine moves around a lot more than modern vehicles. I do not know if it is supposed to or not.
Matt
66 D-100 long bed swept
Shearingmatt@yahoo.com

geoholt3

My gauge is very stable and doesn't move at all.

Post by geoholt3 »

It's nice out now and the snow is melting. I could measure my gauge now. I am going to go out and brush the snow off and do some tests. Back in a few, George

geoholt3

You are correct sir!

Post by geoholt3 »

My wire also has a pulse to it. But my gauge is very stable. I would suggest you check the ground from the gauge housing to chassis to make sure everything is grounded ok. If it is, I would say your gauge is getting old. I think there is one in the 71 here at the scrap yard in Colorado, but it may be in the same shape. Is your battery ground connected to the chassis somewhere? That is also very important. Good luck.

George

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Thank's both Matt & George , , I will have to recheck all my grounds . or maybe the sending unit , Matt, cowboy aka Dave LOL clint is oneowner 70-71 ,
8)
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

shearingmatt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shearingmatt »

Never thought of the ground. I'll have to check that. I just figured it was the worn out sending unit Trey sold me (no clue why i thought it was worn out...) or just they way they are... Mine moves around a bit as the fuel level changes not as the vehicle moves. example, I can drive flat and level for a while and it won't change much but then it will suddenly drop 1/8-1/4 of a tank and then another few miles will go up an 1/8 of a tank a few miles later. Never thought of the ground. Duh!
MG
66 D-100 long bed swept
Shearingmatt@yahoo.com