relay?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

relay?

Post by FlyingEagle »

I have a '62 W200 & repairing all the electrical. Just wanted to know what this thing is. It is just above the starter relay. It has a dk green & lt green wire going to it. The lt green then goes to a resister by brake master & the dk green goes into the cab w/ the engine harness. I'm guessing it's a horn or headlight relay. I didn't see it on a wiring diagram. What do you say?

Scott
Attachments
DSCN3301.JPG
DSCN3302.JPG
Scott

'62 W200 w/LA318, 4spd (rescued from parts truck status)
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton- will drive it til I die

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: relay?

Post by pwadventurer »

It makes sense that its for the horn relay. From the 62-65 wiring diagram,(not showing the relay), the light green wire from the ballast resistor is power from the ignition switch to the relay, the dark green wire is the ground from the horn button to the relay. There should be another light green wire, from the relay, to the horn and a dark green wire for the ground to the horn. You might have two horns on the truck, I think the single horn trucks didn't have the relay.

Would you mind posting a picture of the two other bulkhead connectors going into the cab for another guy on this forum so we can decipher his wiring harness. From your picture you posted already I can see where that connector all goes to. Thanks,

Rick

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

Thanks, Rick.
It was throwing me off because the green wires going to it were way longer than needed. I looped them over the master cylinder to show. I think this truck started with one horn & the PO added two more. The wiring is hacked. I'm going back to one horn & need to wire it.

Hope the pic helps. The PO had bypassed the original turn switch & added aftermarket. Which wasn't wired right & had shorted some wires. So I only have the rear turns coming out of the top bulkhead. The bottom bulkhead shows a blue crimp fitting with a brown wire going down. That's my brake light wire. Supposed to be white.
Scott
Attachments
DSCN3312.JPG
DSCN3311.JPG
DSCN3310.JPG
DSCN3309.JPG
Scott

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

Glad to help out, thanks for the additional pictures, it helps a lot.

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

you're welcome
Scott