My truck is acting like Christine

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

My truck is acting like Christine

Post by 68fish »

New problem. When I turn off the key, small voltage pulse is going into everything. Gauges stay on, oil sending light pulses dim then bright, blower will work at lower than normal speed, aftermarket voltage meter reads 6-8 volt surging on and off every second or so. Now, I unhooked the ignition switch thinking that was bad and it still does it. Disconnecting battery at the neg cable on the block gets a slight spark so current is being drawn. Any ideas where to look first for the short??

This DID just start happening just after I watched Christine. At least the radio didn't come on by itself.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: My truck is acting like Christine

Post by Jims68 »

68fish wrote:New problem. When I turn off the key, small voltage pulse is going into everything. Gauges stay on, oil sending light pulses dim then bright, blower will work at lower than normal speed, aftermarket voltage meter reads 6-8 volt surging on and off every second or so. Now, I unhooked the ignition switch thinking that was bad and it still does it. Disconnecting battery at the neg cable on the block gets a slight spark so current is being drawn. Any ideas where to look first for the short??

This DID just start happening just after I watched Christine. At least the radio didn't come on by itself.
First thing you have to think of is.... what is the LAST thing you "touched" or "worked on"? Maybe you pinched a wire somewhere? Just a thought.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68fish »

Jim you were right on baby!

I looked at the turn signal switch, I was fooling with that because of my brake light problem. I unplugged the switch, still a slight current going through everything, no change. I then thought, what else did I do over the winter. I installed a factory look cigar lighter in the dash. My original wasn't working. (I don't smoke but I wanted it as a power outlet for the phone, ect...) BINGO! That was it. My defrost tube was putting pressure on the hot wire spade of the lighter. It was enough pressure to bend the spade just slightly, barely kissing the negative ground body of the lighter. BAM! Theres my short! Fixed it in 5 minutes flat. Interesting, the cigar lighter is wired in so its hot all the time, you don't need to turn on the accessory switch at the key. Is this the way they did it factory? If it is, smoking ruled back then. No need to turn key, just press lighter down any time to light em up.

Im happy I found this so quick, broke a record!

Fish

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Great!! Glad to help or at least refresh your memory. Yes, the Cigar Lighters were always hot. I mean... you have to remember... BIC lighters weren't invented yet. :lol: Seemed everyone smoked back in those days. Watch some TV shows from the 60s...

Funny thing is... I just watched Christine a couple weeks ago too!!

Jim
Jim

68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 68fish »

I can see it now. You just lost your keys, cant find them, you need a smoke bad. NO problem! Keys, keys??? We don't need no stinkin keys!!!!! Cigar lighter is ready to go at any time!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

I was trying to think of "WHY" you would need to 'light up' with the truck not running. I mean... what are you doing just sitting in the truck? You on a stake out or something? :lol:
Jim

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Jims68 wrote:I was trying to think of "WHY" you would need to 'light up' with the truck not running. I mean... what are you doing just sitting in the truck? You on a stake out or something? :lol:
People used to use trucks for work. If they were at a construction site they could use the lighter without starting up the truck.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix
State: AZ

Post by Jake66 »

haha i read your posts and im busting a gut! glad some of us have a sense of humor. :lol:
1966 Dodge D100 Custom SC SWB
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White