Starter question

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Mulky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Towanda
State: KS

Starter question

Post by Mulky »

Hello everyone, new to the site but I've been a longtime owner of dodges of this era. I've an electronics novice so I'll open for anything. Recently purchased a 68 dodge 318 w/ 3 on the tree. I replaced my battery terminals since the originals were shot and loose. I go to connect my negative terminal and the engine tries to start. Scares the heck out of me so of course I go to make sure the key isn't in and turned. No key in so I disconnect the starter switch to make sure its not "stuck open". Same thing happens, tries to start. So I trace it down to the red wire running to the dash board connected to the solenoid.

I'm currently stumped on where to look next?

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Re: Starter question

Post by Oldguy »

The wires on the solenoid are real close together. Make sure there is no contact between them. Had that happen to me. Felt like an idjit!! :lol: :lol: Mike
Remember, if you run out of projects, you die!
http://pics.livejournal.com/mikescars/

Mulky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Mulky »

So what your saying is that maybe if I use flat washers between the connections it could create enough separation to prevent my issue? Because currently they are loving together on the bolt. Man if that fixes it I will definitely take the dunce hat and chair.

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

Nope. The posts themselves are close so you have to make sure the wires are not touching. The wire on the post that goes to the key to trip the solenoid when you go to start the engine can sometimes short out against the post that has the battery cable. The battery cables should be straight and not cocked over to one side. Not easy to do!
Just make sure none of the wires on the various posts on the solenoid are touching. Hope I explained it better this time! Mike :lol:
Remember, if you run out of projects, you die!
http://pics.livejournal.com/mikescars/

Mulky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Mulky »

So here's my problem with the solenoid wires, when I disconnect the red one moving to the dash I can connect my negative terminal. This is how it was wired when I replaced the battery cables. I first thought it was the solenoid so I just replaced it and it still would try to start when I connected all wires. Here's the setup front and top views:
Front

Top Image

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

That is the starter relay. The wire in the 4 o'clock position (top picture) appears to be making contact with the large hot wire. This is sending power to BOTH starter terminals, thus it cranks.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Mulky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Mulky »

Well thats why I need to wear my dunce hat. Nothing like failing the simplest tests. Good now I can struggle through regular starting issues. :) Thanks for the help gents!

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Post by FlyingEagle »

That relay has a whole lot happening in a tight space. I had a similar thing happen to me, but I was under the hood w/ the truck in gear. I'm gonna replace the relay with a tractor/ford type relay. Good separation of terminals, so no accidental contact.
Scott
Scott

'62 W200 w/LA318, 4spd (rescued from parts truck status)
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton- will drive it til I die

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Post by FlyingEagle »

I swapped out the relay for tractor/F*** one. Works great. I need to replace the battery cables with ones that have slimmer ends that fit better, but these still have lots of clearance.
Scott
Attachments
DSCN3282.JPG
Scott

'62 W200 w/LA318, 4spd (rescued from parts truck status)
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton- will drive it til I die