When did fuse boxes begin?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

When did fuse boxes begin?

Post by wally426ci »

I have a dash harness that I pulled out of what I think was a 62 D400. No fuse box.

Trying to figure out what years and models it would fit.

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Re: When did fuse boxes begin?

Post by PowerMan »

My '62 W100 did not have a fuse box either. I believe they began in '63 or '64.
1962 W100 - NV4500- LU2 winch Looking for a 4BT!
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500
1965 D100-> W100 Town Wagon 225 Slant - NP435

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Thanks man! Btw I finally installed that cigar lighter.... Or am I crazy and it wasn't you that gave it to me? :joker

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Post by PowerMan »

Oh yea that's been a year or two ago.
1962 W100 - NV4500- LU2 winch Looking for a 4BT!
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500
1965 D100-> W100 Town Wagon 225 Slant - NP435

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Fuse boxes began with the early(4 eye) 1965's. Any earlier fuse boxes were special order. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Hmmm.... I'll post a pic up of some connections to see if I can narrow it down.... unless the harness' were identical until the fuse box upgrade. I noticed the headlight switch is a different design with some screw terminals.

And yes, it had been so long that I couldn't quite remember. I am stoked to have the interior coming together.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

JimE wrote:Fuse boxes began with the early(4 eye) 1965's. Any earlier fuse boxes were special order. Jim
i have a very late 64 pickup that had a fuse box - it was not special ordered with it.
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by JimE »

CSS-Registry wrote:
JimE wrote:Fuse boxes began with the early(4 eye) 1965's. Any earlier fuse boxes were special order. Jim
i have a very late 64 pickup that had a fuse box - it was not special ordered with it.
I believe your truck is a CSS, there are some exceptions. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

JimE wrote:I believe your truck is a CSS, there are some exceptions. Jim
yes and no. mine is a bench seat HPP without the CSS trim package.

i agree.

interviewing the dodge truck engineers over the years the way i understand the construction process of my "Special Equipment Release Truck" most of the build process took place on the assembly line in the usual process.

all standard components where assembled normally such as frame rails, fenders, glass, interior, chassis, wiring, etc. and at the end of the line it was removed and place in the Special Equipment group's area also know as the "repair area".

that is where all the non-standard part were installed - in my case: Engine & Trans, Power Steering, 6000 RPM Tach, Dual Exhaust and Torque Rods.

in reviewing the SERT sheets that outline parts omitted or added there is no mention of a unique wire harness for my 426SW powered truck on any of the pages. that leaves me to assume that my harness was a standard production item.

are there any other 64's that have a fuse block? according to my build sheet my truck was built in 7/64

Ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by JimE »

"according to my build sheet my truck was built in 7/64"
I'm not sure about Dodge but the manufacture code for Ford ends right after July 4th, then they retool for the new year.
I was looking at the build code on mine, it says 2/70 that makes it 13 years my junior. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

JimE wrote:"according to my build sheet my truck was built in 7/64"
I'm not sure about Dodge but the manufacture code for Ford ends right after July 4th, then they retool for the new year.
I was looking at the build code on mine, it says 2/70 that makes it 13 years my junior. Jim
that's interesting.

as i understand it i thought Dodge used running changes as a production process for the trucks. They would retool when bigger changes or improvements warranted.

For example the trasitional change from 64 to early 65 trucks the biggest mandated change was Push-button shifter to the industry standardized lever shifter mandated by model year. Then mid-year 65 they change up the wheel base for long beds, added double wall beds and pie plate headlights as a running change but four headlint truck and pie plate trucks produce in model year 65 are all still considered 65's in simplest terms.

my truck was built 7/10/1964 and its sequence number is a 64 model year vin - mine sequence number is "404113" and 65 model year start with sequence number "430000".
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Ben, I don't recall if your truck had the tapered rear axle, which also went away for 1965. I've read that in the early 60s Dodge didn't make model year changes for the sake of making changes but make changes when they saw a need. Some things seem to coincide with model year though like the transmission and axle changes. I'm sure if we had more trucks to compare we may have some anomalies.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

soopernaut wrote:Ben, I don't recall if your truck had the tapered rear axle, which also went away for 1965. I've read that in the early 60s Dodge didn't make model year changes for the sake of making changes but make changes when they saw a need. Some things seem to coincide with model year though like the transmission and axle changes. I'm sure if we had more trucks to compare we may have some anomalies.
my truck had tapered axles. my dad swapped out axles for a later one with slip off drums sometime in the 60s/early 70s.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y