another brake light issue

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

another brake light issue

Post by 68fish »

Hi guys,

Ive read all the posts on brake lights and I think I have the best idea on what to do but want your advice.

Symptom: Right brake light does not work unless left turn signal is on, then it does.

Right turn signal works normal. Left brake and turn signal works normal.

It is NOT a ground issue. I made a direct ground from frame to socket housing and it still no brake light. I tested it with a light tester, not a bulb issue.

I think its the turn signal switch. It is loosy goosy, not tight feel. All of the switches I see do not have wires with them. Is there a source for new turn signal switches with wires also?

Fish

68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

Re: another brake light issue

Post by 68fish »

Im finding 72-85 D100 switches for 30 bucks new. This is the complete switch with wire harness. It does have hazard switch also. Anyway this can be adapted to work on a 65 model?? Again, I know my switch isn't the best shape.

Fish

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

68fish wrote:Im finding 72-85 D100 switches for 30 bucks new. This is the complete switch with wire harness. It does have hazard switch also. Anyway this can be adapted to work on a 65 model?? Again, I know my switch isn't the best shape.

Fish
'65 switch is made from pot aluminum ('61-'69, I think) and the later style plastic ones won't work on a stock column. Maybe someone else has modified one to work (I tried) but haven't read or heard of someone doing that. Post an ad on here, there's a couple of guys that have good used ones, that's what I did with my '68 D100. NOS ones go for $220 and up.
Mike

BillyBones
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Marysville
State: WA

Post by BillyBones »

I have similar issues hazards work all but RR turn signal works all but RR and brakes work on the LR I'm getting nothing form one of the yellow wires coming from the switch. I'm going to open it up this week I hope. My 62 W200 has a plastic more modern style and my 62 D100 has a cast aluminum (cracked at of course) I found a rebuild kit on Summit I might try if it looks like it will help here's the link. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-49305

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... t_25wt_981

Here is 1 for $50 plus $20 shipping. If I needed 1, I would definitely pay that.

If you are going to buy it, just confirm the part number in the parts book. :study :2cents

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

wally426ci wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... t_25wt_981

Here is 1 for $50 plus $20 shipping. If I needed 1, I would definitely pay that.

If you are going to buy it, just confirm the part number in the parts book. :study :2cents
That's a good deal . I just paid $100 + for the same switch. :pale
Last edited by Txas2step on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

I have paid $148. at a Dodge dealer in early 08 for a 69-71, now you can't get them through the dealer. This is where Pwrwgnwalt has sourced them: http://www.shee-mar.com/parts.html
Jim