Dash shifter reverse switch

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Dash shifter reverse switch

Post by nytemuvr »

Can someone tell me where the power for the reverse lights comes from for a dash mounted shifter in my '68 A/T D100? The schematic shows an orange wire from the circuit breaker on the wiper switch. I have no power from that spade terminal on the breaker. The other yellow wire on the shifter switch that is not shown in the FSM wiring diagram, but I trace it to the reverse lights themselfs. Is the circuit breaker the power source (as shown in schematic) and is bad? Or was power supplied from somewhere else, like the ignition switch or amp gauge? I could just run a wire from 1 of 2 unused cavities on the fusebox, if worse comes to worse.

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Re: Dash shifter reverse switch

Post by Roxyflash »

http://www.sweptline.com/tech/68wire.jpg
Looks like its hooked to the wiper switch with a jumper from the ignition switch which is going to the fuse in this picture

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Roxyflash wrote:http://www.sweptline.com/tech/68wire.jpg
Looks like its hooked to the wiper switch with a jumper from the ignition switch which is going to the fuse in this picture
It has but I have a male spade terminal on the other terminal for the wiper motor CB and the wipers work fine. It's just a spade terminal bolted to the other terminal of the CB for the reverse switch wire. I have a factory bullet connector that bypasses all the firewall connectors to the back-up lights that's on a regular column shifter. I wouldn't be surprise that people are always asking on here what the relay/circuit breaker is mounted at a couple of different spots under the dash, they look the same(1"x3/4"x3/4"). Attached pic is the CB on the wiper switch but doesn't show the blade connector for the reverse switch on the in-dash shifter as it's behind a couple of wires and stands strait up. That blade terminal may be corroded and not passing any voltage. Need to take out the switch and see what's going on, my big head won't fit up under the dash high enough to see the top of wiper switch and the CB.
Thanks for the input.
Attachments
100_2291a.jpg

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

Can you get a mirror and light to see the top of breaker ?

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Roxyflash wrote:Can you get a mirror and light to see the top of breaker ?
No...looks like I can just take the dash out for easy access and since my left turn indicator bulb is out, I can kill two birds at the same time. Was thinking it was plugged into a 'run' only terminal on the ignition or some other switch. I've had my Challenger so long I can fix most anything reaching under the dash. The truck is too confined, I'm not that familiar with the truck dash and my arms aren't long enough to reach up and behind the dash to fix something by feel on the truck. The wiring is different for dash shift models, so FSM schematic is not real helpful with the dash shifter wiring, just a blurb about adjusting the reverse switch. Mostly curious what other peoples trucks with that shifter were wired like stock, (weird one year wiring). The only '68 I've seen in the junkyard had the motor and wiring harnesses cut out. Need to put a T/S switch in anyway, just old and slow. I really don't care that much about the reverse light, but I almost hit my Challenger the other night switching truck and car around in the garage at night. Missed the front of my car by a couple of inches or less not being able to see backing up the truck, got lucky.