Light switch help

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Thetvhangman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Riverside
State: CA

Light switch help

Post by Thetvhangman »

Hi, I'm having a hard time removing the light switch. Not finding the button or pin to depress as described in some of the posts to remove this bugger. The truck is a 1963 d300 truck. The lights work great however the three bulbs connected for the gauge lights don't. Traced them to the switch and used test light on the terminal no power. Turned dimmers no power to terminal or bulb. Any help would be great and if anybody knows the replacement part number for this. Thanks.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Light switch help

Post by dodgeboykim »

Pull light switch to full on then Reach in behind to switch and feel for the small spring loaded button/pin. Depress and at the same finish pulling the switch knob/shaft out. Remove slotted nut device and pull out switch and troubleshoot. Dimmer circuit is probably done. Chrysler has used that button style from the 60/70/80's.
If you have one from some other year(car or truck) look at it to see how the button is positioned.

Thetvhangman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by Thetvhangman »

Thanks for the info this switch does not have a button or spring loaded pin. If it does I'm not sure where it's is on the switch. I checked the back sides and belly no pin or button. This switch does have a square hole under the bottom facing the floor board towards the front of the switch but looks up at the spring for the in and out tension I believe. This seems to be a stock switch. The bottom is stamped RBM not sure what that is.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Thetvhangman wrote:Thanks for the info this switch does not have a button or spring loaded pin. If it does I'm not sure where it's is on the switch. I checked the back sides and belly no pin or button. This switch does have a square hole under the bottom facing the floor board towards the front of the switch but looks up at the spring for the in and out tension I believe. This seems to be a stock switch. The bottom is stamped RBM not sure what that is.

Then unfortunately I can not help you. Someone with a 63ish truck will have to chime in.

RonHall76
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by RonHall76 »

Having a hard time removing the light switch from a 66 W200. Found this thread.

Switch arm moves and rotates, can find and depress release pin on switch, but arm will not release (can feel it still in the notch, played with it quite a bit). Removed /loosened switch collar so I could rotate assembly. Took out wiring plug .... when I pulled on arm (with pin depressed), it allowed assembly guts to move out, but arm still did not release.

Assuming this switch is a goner ... but want to save arm/knob .....

Am I over looking something obvious?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Sometimes they're a supreme *#%^$ to get the retainer to release. Never have found the secret word, other than depressing the release button, yanking it back and forth and uttering every special word and combo thereof possible.

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal

Post by powerwagon54 »

Sometimes a little penetrating oil on the button will do the trick.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

I think on some switched the button might be on top? among the terminals? but I might be dreaming

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Yes, between the terminals and you have to unplug the wires to get to it.

Red383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Loramie
State: OH

Post by Red383 »

I believe you have the switch like this (I borrowed this picture from 61-71dodgesweptlineparts.com):
early switch.jpg
If so, the release button is under the middle wiring connector. Unplug the connector, then you pull the knob either half way or all the way out and you should be able to depress the button to release the knob and pull it out.

I just got done rebuilding my headlight switch in my Early 65. My head lights would turn on, but the parking and interior lights were getting no power. I disassembled it and cleaned out all the old hard grease.
This is what all the parts looked like after disassembly:
65 switch 1.jpg
After cleaning and a soak in Evaporust, you can see the spring loaded release button on the metal housing:
cleaned.jpg
Reassembled and working good:
done.jpg
1965 Dodge D200, 318 4-speed converted to 4x4 with NV4500 trans

Red383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Loramie
State: OH

Post by Red383 »

Here is the best picture I have of the release mechanism.
release.jpg
You would b=pull the knob all the way out like turning on the headlights. Then when you press the button, it pushes down on the metal locking tab, which allows the knob/shaft to be pulled out.

Hope this helps.

These switches are not that complicated and usually just need a good cleaning to get them working again.
1965 Dodge D200, 318 4-speed converted to 4x4 with NV4500 trans

sambudo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver

Post by sambudo »

Thank you this was exactly what I was looking for. Will try this tomorrow. Thank you

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Post by Noelie84 »

Did you get it? The suspense is killing me! :lol:
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)