Cranks but does not start

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Stootz97
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Corona
State: CA

Cranks but does not start

Post by Stootz97 »

New to the forums here. I have a 69 with a 360 in it. I had problems getting the truck to turn over ( it would start eventually) so I installed a new intake manifold and edelbrock 4 barrel carb and battery. Now it turns over but will not fire up. Without schematics, I'm having some problems. I'm guessing I may of hooked up some wires wrong to the coil or don't have a vacuum hose hooked up right. I put the distributer vacuum line to the passenger side port on the carb, the middle and driver side are capped off. I have a black/yellow, black, whitish and purple wire for the coil. other than the obvious black line to ground, i'm assumming the the black and yellow goes to the negative for the ignition module??? and the others go to the positive for the solenoid and something else?? I'm also pretty sure I am getting fuel to the carb because when I loosened up the banjo bolt going into it there was plenty coming out. The other problem is the that the carb was a used/rebuilt model and both of the air/fuel screws were fully closed so I'm thinking I may need to slowly tweak them to get the engine even running. Any trouble shooting advise would be appreciated.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Cranks but does not start

Post by 712edf »

Welcome :welcome

Does your truck still have points type distributor? I know the 360 isn't original.
Maybe you got the distributor timing off when you removed it during intake swap.
The vacuum thing wouldn't itself keep the engine from firing.
I don't thing you have a fuel problem based on what you said. I think you should be getting enough gas to get it to fire. Does it pump gas when press accelerator?
A wiring diagram is on this site somewhere.
Bucky

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

All -This is my brothers friend. He bought the 69' d100 Mike had started restoring, then Mike found his 70' Adventurer. Before selling the truck to Bob, Mike robbed the intake and carb of for his shagg'in wagon. I took the exhaust off of it and many other parts that Bob had to repalce. So Bob bought a truck half torn apart.

Let me start here: To avoid Damage/Fire ect. Double check and triple check all wiring. Everything! Coil, Distributor, voltage regulator, ballast, spark plug order and rotaion.
1. Mike did an awesome job completely rewiring the truck with a painless style kit. So the wire colors most likely will not match colors of factory diagram. You will have to trace the wiring maunually. Also the truck has Mopar electronic Ignition added as I recall so use a wiring diagram for a 70-71 truck not a 69'. Also I don't recall if Mike used a One wire alternator and eliminated the voltage regulator, Bob- ask Mike.

2. Insure you installed the plug wires in proper order because you had the distibutor out and the shaft turns freely when out. Turn motor over to number one top dead center, then install wires in proper order/rotation based on were the rotor under the cap is facing. Again - Make Mike help.. I would!

3. The air/mixture screws on the carb should not be turned all the way in, start by unscrewing them one to one half turn each. Also make sure the carb is pumping fuel when linkage is pulled back. Look down the primaries and rotate the throttle back (with engine OFF). Watch for fuel squirting. It the carb has a electric choke, you will need to open the choke butter fly by had to inspect for fuel squirting.

Hope this helps. I can get you general wiring diagrams. I'll look around.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32071&hilit=adventurer&start=20
Bob's truck in the 69' in the pictures near the bottom of page 2.

Stootz97
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Corona
State: CA

Post by Stootz97 »

found some schematics on google. Had a wire hooked up backwards on the coil. Fired up first click. Thanks. On to the next challenge.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

:clap :clap

Bucky

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

when you get a chance, start a post in the members build section. Do it... Dooo it....