A/C for our trucks

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Trailmaster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ellicott
State: CO

Re: A/C for our trucks

Post by Trailmaster »

Being the old trucker I am, it will probably get the 5 speed. Trucks just look better when they have a lever on the floor. Or two. Heck, if one has enough wheel base to mount the brownie in front of the divorced t case, make it four levers. If I could have found the parts when the trans went bad in the 70 I would have a 435 in there now, but I couln't find a bell or flywheel so the juice box got rebuilt.

Thinking on things I probably wont do the 76 D300, it's somehow manged to survive all these years pretty much orignal, and it has all the factory toys and trim. Be a shame to mess that up. The 50 Chevy I'm still a bit puzzled which way to go, it's a long way from stock, but I kind of enjoyed cruising around with the old 216 stovebolt. 47 mph would get me run over in this day and age of higher speed limits, so 216 or diesel it would definately need to have a page from your book and another lever added to the floor. The 4 speed brownie with the deep reduction would be really cool to have, but the only 4 speed brownies I've seen are monster big.

Funny thing about the brownie, I recall a few years back when Volvo was showing off their latest and funiest looking trucks at all the truckstops, they had a small survey for owner operators to take which included all sorts of questions about how to spec a truck. Their engineers(using that term loosely) all looked at me funny when I told them that 9, 10, 13, 15, and 18 speed didn't include my favorite transmission setup. I had to explain to a couple of the "wetter behind the ears" engineers what a brownie box was. I think a lot of my survey answers baffled them a bit, starting with cab preference. There probably weren't too many that answered that with cabover-96" sleeper.
70 D200 Camper Special 383/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB
74 Trailduster 318/727/NP203/3.55/PS/PB
75 Duster 225/904/PS
76 D300 Adventurer Sport 440/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB/Cruise

MikeMc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MikeMc »

Trailmaster wrote: cabover-96" sleeper.
You been eating those marijuana brownies??? Or maybe you watched to many episodes of BJ and the Bear :lol: It was a good show!

I can see why the survey guys gave you a funny look... only two things positive come to mind regarding cab overs. Birds eye view of the road and used ones sell cheap. I just recently bought a '79 KW W900, I was able to get a good deal with all the emissions bull crap but decent cab overs with older engines really cheap, only about $2,500.

Your right not many guys have experience driving with a Brownie Box. Most heavy haulers now days are running 18 speeds with 2 speed rear ends.

I found my small Brownie in a guys back yard. It came out of a late '50 GMC 1 1/2 ton dump truck. Paid $300 and got the shifter assembly too. It's only a 3 speed low direct high but so far I really don't need a double under 4 speed. I only use the low for maneuvering the travel trailer but mostly like the .71 OD. When your out trucking keep an eye out for some guy with a bunch of old junk out back and maybe you'll hit the jack pot.... small ones are hard to find.

Trailmaster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ellicott
State: CO

Post by Trailmaster »

Couple other advantages to COE, lighter weight and added manueverability because of less wheel base. Downside in my line of work, not enough frame to mount toolboxes for tools and such I need.
70 D200 Camper Special 383/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB
74 Trailduster 318/727/NP203/3.55/PS/PB
75 Duster 225/904/PS
76 D300 Adventurer Sport 440/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB/Cruise

OldDodges
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Georgia
State: GA

Post by OldDodges »

juddoats - If your looking to rebuild the factory setup you picked up, when I went through and tore mine down/rebuilt, I took pictures of what I did along the way. What I didn't redo myself, I sent off to Classic Auto Air and had them clean/refurbish, etc. I have around $1000 all total, including all new lines and a Saden Compressor from Classic Auto Air. Truck cools great. I've still got to finish getting the vent hoses adjusted, but other than to test everything out, I don't think I've put it on anymore then about Medium the few times I drove it this summer! Kyle

Factory A/C/Heater Rebuild http://www.olddodges.com/gallery/thumbn ... p?album=68
OldDodges.com -- Home of the Bighorn Registry

1970 Dodge D300 (Restored)
2010 Dodge Ram 1500

juddoats
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Paris/Texas

Post by juddoats »

thanks for the info and pics :D