Parking Lights/Dash lights won't shut off

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
tattooman

Parking Lights/Dash lights won't shut off

Post by tattooman »

Okay brother motorheads, here's one for y'all. I have a '70 D200 that I'm working on and have run into one I can't figure out. When I pull out the headlight switch one notch, the parking lights and dash lights come on.... The second notch turns on the headlights.. (so far so good) push it in one notch and the headlights go out.... push it all the way in (the off position) and poof.... the parking lights and dash lights stay lit. I figured it was a bad headlight switch and replaced it with a new one, but it didn't make a difference. Funny thing is that if I disconnect the battery then connect it again, the problem corrects itself and the lights are off.... until I turn on the headligh switch again! Then the same thing happens, everything works as it should but the last push on the headlight switch to turn everything off, leaves the parking lights and dash lights on. Any ideas? I've lost my "Mopar Magic Spell" book and don't know where to start (other than the obvious connections to the lights, etc.) Thanks Aaron (tattooman)

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

It has to be the switch, spray down the switch with
WD and see if it helps, something inside the switch is
hanging up and not releasing when switched off.
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

Gilesie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Melbourne
State: Foreign
Location: Melbourne Australia, Just the other side of the pond

Post by Gilesie »

It almost sounds like a crook relay.

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

I have a hard time seeing a second headlight switch having the same problem. Now the park lamps are powered by the headlight switch with a dark green wire this wire passes through the firewall with a plug that is rectangular and I believe is located by the master cyl. area. In this plug are the 3 wires for the park/turn lamps (Drk green for power,yellow for turn/hazard,and light green for turn/hazard) the dark blue ammeter hot wire from the battery, the orange start control wire from the ign switch to the relay and the red power and black ground wire for the headlights. I would check this plug for corrosion or the dreaded green grodies that like to grow there. Be carefull as the corrosion can cause the wire to be brittel at the plug and then you'll be looking for another harness to replace the damaged one.
I do not recall a relay for the park lamp or head lamp system for these years of trucks nor do I see it in the wiring scematic. Hope it helps
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

Gilesie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Melbourne
State: Foreign
Location: Melbourne Australia, Just the other side of the pond

Post by Gilesie »

what happens if you only turn on the park lights then turn off do they turn off?

What is the wiring loom condition like?

And the best one has your truck had a big boom box fitted somehow connected to the lighting cct.

Regards Rod

scoutski
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by scoutski »

Very interesting! It sounds like somthing other than the switch is completing the circuit. Check for a frayed wire in the park light harness. Somewhere it is making contact with a hot wire, but the resistance is overcome only when the switch is activated. Disconnecting the battery lets it cool enough to maintain enough resistance to remain off untill energized again. :2cents
Bill

tattooman

Problem Solved

Post by tattooman »

Thanks to Ken "Hoss" for his detective work.... The problem was a short in the junction block under the hood. TATTOOMAN

Daddiojoe
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Daddiojoe »

Tattooman--

What exactly do you mean by junction block? I've got a similar problem and have replaced the bulkhead connectors.

Also, I'm curious about your handle. Are you a tattooer or tattooed?

Joe
1971 4-eyed Shortbed D100 225 /6 727 AT 3.23 rear running on Sweet Lady Propane