Hot start headache

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Veriwide
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Hot start headache

Post by Veriwide »

I have a terrible hot start problem with our truck. Cold it starts just fine. Once It has been driven, and turned off, it needs 1/2 to an hour before it wants to start easily again. The truck has a 440 with the stock manifolds on it.

I put a brand new battery in it a few days ago at the auto shop. From arrival to leaving was less than ten minutes. You should have seen the look on the guy's face when the truck struggled to start, as if the new battery was dead!

We have a reman. stock starter on the 440. There is a heat shield wrap on it, but I think it serves to keep heat in.

Has anyone tried a remote mount starter solinoid? I can not get it through my thick head how a remote solinoid would help, when these still needs to be a wire sent down to the hot solinoid on the starter.

Has anyone tried heat shielding sleeves on the wires to/from the starter?

Should I think about a high torque mini starter?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
Patrick Pitzer
Boone, NC

1971 Adventurer SE "Frankenstein"

quickd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: nielsville, mn.
State: MN

Re: Hot start headache

Post by quickd100 »

If all your conections are good, the battery is good, I'd strongly suspect the reman starter. I've seen more than one that hasn't been up to snuff. Load test it when it's cranking and check to see what the specs are for what it's suposed to draw. Dave
tunnel rammed 528 Hemi powered

shdnobetter
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Elmira, OR

Post by shdnobetter »

quickd100 wrote:If all your conections are good, the battery is good, I'd strongly suspect the reman starter. I've seen more than one that hasn't been up to snuff. Load test it when it's cranking and check to see what the specs are for what it's suposed to draw.
Echo the above. The shield is supposed to keep exhaust heat away from the starter. Too much spark advance can make it hard to start when hot as well.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I agree with the above two posts. When my 440 was fresh (tight) I went to a dual battery set-up for a while. Now that the engine is broken-in somewhat it cranks much easier and I'm back to the original single battery (950 cca) configuration. I do use heavy #0 gauge battery cables though.Ignition timing is real critical in starting a Hot motor and mine still has a tendency to drag while cranking, but I've got headers.Mine seems to want to flood during a hot start also.Since mines a third string vehicle rarely "driven" I don't kill the engine unless its going to have enough time to cooldown.
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

I have to go along with the same path, advancing the timing is going to slow down the starts as if a bad starter or low battery, I run at least 26 degreees (turned it back some for cold weather starts, for it may be needed to go to work) I have had a "mini" starter, more for the high RPM starts, couldn't imagine using the stock starter, unless I put the motor back to stock, not going to happen :lol: also, check and make sure your grounds are clean, just had to replace my grounding bolt yesterday due to rust :pale thought it was the positive cable going out, or bad connection at the relay, but just a bad ground :Thumbsup