Jinx/ yet another won't start

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Jinx/ yet another won't start

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

man oh man,
I thought I was jinx by the won't start woe's from others here on the forum, for friday night I sold the snow plow on the front of the jeep, I backed it into the garage, then started taking off anything related to the plow, well then I decided to start it one more time,It cranked but wouldn't fire :shame so I got out the trusty test light, and voltmeter, after pouring gas in the carb, only to find out it was supplying plenty of gas, so then I thought that one of the wires I disconnected was some how in a circuit that was needed to start? So I used the test light to see if any had power, nothing but being a dumbass I thought mysteriously the connection was needed so I reconnected them, and it still wouldn't start, so I started looking for any loose wires that I may have disconnected. So after being totally fustrated I had promised my wife to go look at more furniture, so I had to walk away :banghead it bothers me to no end when I can't figure something out, just eats at me, so I had to force myself back to the basics for a vehicle to work, GAS & FIRE,
1. I knew I had gas
2. I tested at the battery 13 Volts
3. from regulator to coil 14 Volts (WHAT I THOUGHT THIS WAS A 6 VOLT SYSTEM, BLOW MY MIND :pale )
4. found 14 Volts going into coil had no way to test the coil by placing close to metal to see spark I was the only one home. So I first took the coil wire off and put on the 440, and it started, so then, since I found out this was a 12V system I disconnected the coil and put on the 440 (why the 440? because of the MSD) it wouldn't start, so I put the coil from the 440 on the Jeep and IT STARTED. drove to the parts store and bought a coil for a 1954 Willys, YES THEY HAD IT IN STOCK :lol: even the parts man was shocked :salut
so the morale of the story, coils can work one minute and then go out, ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO HAVE FIRE & GAS, and go down the path of how things work to find the solution :Thumbsup

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Re: Jinx/ yet another won't start

Post by Oldguy »

It's always nice to go back to basics once in a while! LOL Glad you got it with out losing too much hair! Mike
Remember, if you run out of projects, you die!
http://pics.livejournal.com/mikescars/

63d100sixer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by 63d100sixer »

glad to hear that you got it started, but why did you buy a coil for a 54 willys? Is it better, or is it one of those round universal ones?
Kevin. Loyal dodge enthusiast since I could hold a wrench

Put your seat belt on. I'm gonna try something
1968 D200 318 727
1972 D100 360 4 speed
1973 d100 318 727
1973 W100 440 727

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

The main reason I bought the coil for the 1954 Willys is because the Willys charging system is still with generator, and the difference of the amps would be dramatically different, I was going to get one from a Sweptline but was unsure if the generator would put out enough amps to supply power. :study

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

Glad you got her running again!

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

I bought and put on exhaust, muffler shop charge $300.00 me doing it $112.00, the money saved is more parts, just ordered a NEW mastercylinder and 2 front wheel bearings from Willys-Overland company, can you believe they are still selling new parts? We play hell finding parts for the Sweptlines and the Jeep industry is still selling new parts for 54 year old vehicles :study :thinking

63d100sixer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by 63d100sixer »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:The main reason I bought the coil for the 1957 Willys is because the Willys charging system is still with generator, and the difference of the amps would be dramatically different, I was going to get one from a Sweptline but was unsure if the generator would put out enough amps to supply power. :study
O.K. I got ya. I thought it was an old time performance trick, or something :lol: I had to ask :joker

glad to hear its going again :Thumbsup
Kevin. Loyal dodge enthusiast since I could hold a wrench

Put your seat belt on. I'm gonna try something
1968 D200 318 727
1972 D100 360 4 speed
1973 d100 318 727
1973 W100 440 727