Electronic ignition swap

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Redd

Electronic ignition swap

Post by Redd »

OK i'm a fishin here. I just stipped a late 70's/early 80's ignition out of a 318 . when i say ignition iI mean started on the drivers side and went to the pass side .. All in tac..control box, regulator, distributor, coil, alt with bracket and complete harness. Now this is all still hooked together , I don't think this is going to be to hard (famous last words) and I haven't had time to lay it all out and take a look at it , BUT, I did unplug the harness connection going through the firewall and cut the red ignition wire. The question is what do I do with the fire wall plug?? And do any of you have any words of wisdom on this. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

You won't need it. You will need the plug from the ECU and a good length of its wiring to run to your coil and to the ballast resistor; splice in the plug for the new voltage reg; and one new wire from the alt to the ign side of the regulator (see diagram). All other wiring you need is already in your truck!

Here is the diagram for my 68 with electronic ign and new style alt/reg

http://members.cox.net/dchambers12/Swep ... iagram.bmp

Be sure to save it to your hard drive and then open it so you can zoom a bit; Web browser doesn't show all of the lines well.

It's not tough. Use good electrical wiring practices; solder and shrink-wrap your connections and solder on good new spade plugs where needed.

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Red , follow the diagram seebee set up , it's the same one he sent me , I put the elic in my 69 , I had to add the seconed wire on my alt, the two flds & main power then it started to charge , & been fine ever sence
8)
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Redd

Post by Redd »

Thanks guys, I'll try and get to it this weekend and let you know!

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: colorado springs
State: CO

Post by ozzie »

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ozzie »

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ozzie »

Redd, I just finished installing an electronic ignition in my 69 W200. it took about an hour. I used the wiring diagram from the website I posted earlier. I did not have to use the electronic voltage regulator, or run an extra wire to the alt. fired right up , all I had to do was reset the timing, and it was good to go. very easy install. the wiring diagram was in color it made it really easy.
ozzie

luckybob

Post by luckybob »

I did somethign similar to my truck. But I purchased a pertronics module. its really simple to install.

It basically replaces your points with the same device as a electronic ignition. I think they are well worth the money.

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton
State: OK

Post by JJ »

To get the most out of electronic ignition you have to go to a electronic regulator and perferably a later two field alternator. You won't get the right amount of current with the earlier set up, especialy at low speeds.

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by ozzie »

I have the electronic voltage regulator, and the two field alternator, just haven't installed them yet. the truck runs fine, but I think it will run better with those installed, along with a high voltage coil, I also got with the ignition pack that I got off of ebay. this sysyem was really easy to install when you use the diagrams gotten off the internet.
ozzie

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton
State: OK

Post by JJ »

You might want to go to http://www.4secondsflat.com and read what Don has to say about mopar electronic ignition. I have his A688 system on my truck as well as letting him recurve my distributor. The difference is night and day!