Rnd Gages In - Std Gages Out

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Rnd Gages In - Std Gages Out

Post by Rodger »

Hola Guru's

Is it an easy 1 - 2 - 3 to remove the std looking retangle gage cluster unit and swap in an all round HD gage cluster unit ???

I have an 1966 standard unit and an 1970 unit ( 6,000 RPM OEM Tac w/100 MPH Speed-o ). Can the two change places in an easy manner into the 1966 dash ???

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Attachments
1970 Dodge Truck Owners Manual, Pg 09.jpg
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Rnd Gages In - Std Gages Out

Post by digdoug »

Rodger
You will need to get a pre-69 plate to hold your guages,or make one.Also,you will need the tach transmitter and wireing to run a stock tach.

Doug

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Doug

So if the complete HD assembly is there in the 1970 truck one can switch the unit into the 1966 truck with only some minor finger bumps and etc ???

And the appearance for the Barret-Jaskson guru's will be, " ... Hey isn't that a 1970 HD cluster unit in that trk, instead of the 1966 HD cluster ...".

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Attachments
1970 Dodge Truck Owners Manual, Pg 09.jpg
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Well, a 66 non HPP truck would have a 5000rpm tach.
Attachments
red dash (2).jpg

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

This is the correct tach,for the guys with deep pockets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0255567525

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Since you have both trucks to view you should be able to see that the 70 panel that holds the gauges will not fit in the 66 truck without modifications. The 70 uses a different dash and therefore a different gauge cluster. If you made a panel you could swap the gauges only and make everything work. The gauges themselves are different than what would have been available in 66. The 4 smaller gauges are smaller than the 66 gauges. The tachometer you have is a 6000 rpm unit but in 66 a non HPP truck would have a 5000 rpm tach. I know you like to keep things looking original and this swap won't allow that.

See Digdoug's photo for what the heavy duty gauges looked like in 1966.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

ThanK You

I have both units, but they are not next to each other and I got to thinking a lil about this an ah lil about that.

It just accured to me that I also have an complete 1968 "standard use" instrument cluster unit too.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Wow,I did'nt know that the 69+ small guages were smaller. What is thier size?

Doug

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

digdoug wrote:Wow,I did'nt know that the 69+ small guages were smaller. What is thier size?

Doug
Well maybe someone else should confirm that they are smaller. They looked smaller but I didn't measure them or anything.

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

They're NOT smaller- they're the same size, even the same gauge holders!!! These same gauges were standard in 1961 swept/utiline instrument clusters, were used in all town panels/town wagons, in C series (larger) trucks both with and without tachs, and in the heavy-duty instrument package from 1961-1971. As I stated before, the holders are the same on all of them. The gauges mount from the back of the cluster, and are held in with two screws. There are multiple slots for the screws on the back of the gauges, meaning you can "re-clock" the gauges and interchange gauges and holders from all the different applications. So Rodger, those gauges will work for you; you just need the sheet metal plate that all the gauges attach to from a 1961-1968 HD instrument equipped truck.
'66 Cummins W250 5 spd crew cab long bed
'67 W200 Cummins, never-ending project
'74 Ramcharger Cummins 5 speed
'02 24v quad cab 6 speed dually 4x4

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I guess it is just an optical illusion then. Since they are in a different position they look smaller. Good to know.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Hola Guru's

Since I got an 1970 Trk, I got the HD instr cluster about one week later. All this time ( some three years ) it has been an dust magnet.

Since April I have also had an 1966 Trk and the thought of an all round panel has been attacking my cells.

My wife says to get rid of it all and clean up my act. I look at all of it as pure gold.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

As you can see here I have a truck with the HD guages, the tach works fine, and it doesnt have a box on the fender, did the 69 and up have it that way, just hooks right to the coil?