electrical wiring

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Dan61

electrical wiring

Post by Dan61 »

This is a good one.I have a 1971 d1oo that i bought with no engine.I have installed another engine but cannot figure out the wiring.I have lights turn and brake lights headlights heater and winshield wipers are working instrument lights work The ignition switch wires were disconnected when i got the truck. HELP PLEASE
Dan

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: electrical wiring

Post by Russ »

Need a little more info. Is the original ignition switch still mounted in the dash? There should be a plug with wires attached that plugs on to the rear of the switch. Is this what you mean by the ignition wires being disconnected?
1969 Adventurer W100

Dan61

Post by Dan61 »

no plug just individual wires.What a mess Switch is in the dash

OleRed66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North
State: UT

Post by OleRed66 »

Here is a wiring diagram. It's a little hard to read, but it may be just fine. If the truck has original wires, the colors should match up and you should be able to figure it out. Maybe, anyway, it may be a start for you!!
71wire.jpg
1966 Dodge D100 - Ole Red
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee - The Jeep
1985 Honda Magna - Maggie
2007 Dodge Durango Hemi (wifes) - D
1992 Plymouth Acclaim - Gramma

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Dan61 wrote:no plug just individual wires.What a mess Switch is in the dash
Here's a pic of what the rear of your ignition switch should look like. Starting at the "bat" terminal, you should have a number 12 black wire that attaches there, a number 16 red wire on "ign1", a number 14 pink on "ign2" a number 14 orange on "S", and a number 12 light blue on "acc". You should have battery voltage all the time on the wire that attaches to "bat". The "grd" terminal should be grounded. These wires would normally be in a plug that fit the rear of the switch but since that plug isn't there you might look to see if you can find the wires and plug them on individually. You might have to crimp on new terminals. Maybe this will help get you started.
Attachments
ignition.jpg
ignition.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 920 times
1969 Adventurer W100

Dan61

Post by Dan61 »

Ill try these things and see what i get Thanks

FredM
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by FredM »

might look around here http://www.sweptline.com/tech/electric.html

there may be some helpful information for you
ENJOY LIFE, --- It's the longest thing anyone ever does-- --

When seconds count, Help is only minutes away-----------------

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

I forgot to add in my earlier post, I would remove the ignition switch so I could see the rear of it and look for any sign that it had been damaged or burned. Look at the connectors and make sure the rivots that hold the tabs are tight. If any are loose it could have over heated at that point and damaged the connector, that might be why the connector is missing. You can check it with an ohm meter while you have it out. It's easy to remove, just unscrew the ring that holds it in the dash. Also the wire colors that I gave came from my FSM which covers up to 70 models. They look to be correct for a 71 but you can verify that with the 71 diagram.
1969 Adventurer W100

Dan61

Post by Dan61 »

That was a great help.She cranks with the key now.Now i just need to figure our the wiring to the ignition in the engine compartment
Thanks a bunch

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

souonds like your well on your way to becoming a "SWEPTLINE ELECTRICIAN" that used to be my most hated work, now I've done it so much I know where to go and what to look for, infact I've upgraded with an additional fuse box that has the new fuses and add as I need to :study :Thumbsup

Dan61

Post by Dan61 »

I wouldnt say im an ace yet.I still need to know hopw to hook up the ignition wiring under the hood.The wiring diagrams i have dont seem to match whats in the truck.

Dan61

Post by Dan61 »

Well ive pulled most of my hair out now and still cant get the engine ignition electrical wiring figured out .Any suggestions?

Ruckus
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stevensville, Montana

Post by Ruckus »

I had a similar problem. My truck was gov surplus and had the entire ignition and alternator circuits removed. I got wiring parts from a number of different years at the boneyard and pieced them together. It worked for a while, but then the gremlins started to show and I lost spark... The hard core guys are gonna string me up, but I think the mopar ignition system is junk. There are way too many separate parts and sketchy connections. Add to this the number of revisions they made, and you have a real mess. My solution was to buy a "HEI" replacement distributor and non-ballast resistor coil. I hooked up all TWO wires, and VROOOM, the 318 was back in business! I later found out the quality of the parts I installed were called questionable by some (as if the chinese parts at the local parts store are any different). Time will tell.
78 W200 crewcab, 68 W200, 59 Willys Wagon, 52 Ford F5 Cabover

Dan61

Post by Dan61 »

Im learning a lot here.I didnt know there was such a thing as a non ballast resister coil.Ill be checking that out

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

How is the wiring going?????? Did you get er done????? :study

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

The MSD Blaster coils and the Mopar Blaster coil (4876732 - rebadged MSD, but sometimes cheaper) are all designed to work without a ballast.