Orange ECU test

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Stinky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Riverside, CA

Orange ECU test

Post by Stinky »

Is there any way to test the ECU? I've got a 440 that's been sitting for about 6 months, went to crank it up after trans r/r, and I've got no spark. Coil tests good (ohms in the right range for both sides) ballast resistor tests good, i've got power to the coil (over ten volts to the positive side), but no sparky sparky coming out for 'El Distributor' to distrubute. I pulled the orange box off, and found a wierd mold on the back of it. Any other suggestions would be friggin awesome...

Thanks,

James

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Re: Orange ECU test

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

seems to be popular for them to go out after sittin, I had mine do the same, and went out and bought the MSD 6AL, and haven't looked back, however for just to have as a user this may not be the route for you to go, only thing is to buy a new one :thinking

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

It has been my experience that most of the time there is nothing wrong with the box except a bad ground.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

michael

Post by michael »

Checking resistance in coil is not definitive. Connect a test light to neg coil terminal & ground. Crank engine. If light blinks you have a bad coil. Agree totally with suggestion to ensure good ground contact for ecu.

Stinky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Riverside, CA

Post by Stinky »

It was the ECU that was bad. I know that my grounds are good because I was able to check the coil with my multitester hooked up to the positive side of the coil and my hood hinge for the negative side, and it tested just like it did when it was hooked up to the negative side of the coil. I replaced the ECU with an autozone unit, and she fires right up.