has anybody tried this?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
shaq787
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

has anybody tried this?

Post by shaq787 »

The turn signal switch in my truck is all busted up. I went to my local NAPA today and they said that a universal turn signal switch is $75. I was looking at the wireing diagram and it looks like it is just a three position switch. Has anybody replaced it with a simple three position switch?

~Alex
Project truck: 67 D-100
tryin to turn it into a hotrod on a very limited budget.

michael

Post by michael »

It seems that turn signal switches are pretty much interchangeable in 60s era Mopars. Had problems with one in a 69 D200. I replaced it with one from a 67 Belvedere. The wire color coding was different, but the pattern was the same. I would look for a donor before spending for an add-on from KraNapaZone.

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

It would take more than a simple three position switch to make it work because the brake lights go through the turn signal switch. It could work if you added extra lights for turn signals like some older trucks had, but you'd have more time, $$, and trouble invested than a new correct switch would cost.
1969 Adventurer W100

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone
State: CO

Post by fosh69 »

I agree with michael and Russ, mine was busted, too, and I had an extra one out of a early 70's dart. Like michael said, the colors are different, but the assembly is pretty much the same.

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LaA
State: CA

Post by tom-adc »

Try Rock Auto or see if you can locate a Dormans 49305 swith should be around $13.00
Hope this helps.

go here put the part# in:
https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/ ... time=46562

shaq787
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shaq787 »

Thanks for the input guys. Once the blinker switch is put in all it needs is the hood bolted on and its road worthy.

~Alex

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone
State: CO

Post by fosh69 »

just some more info... I had my blinker switch apart yesterday in order to splice in the Painless kit I have. If you need any advice on splicing the painless kit to the original, let me know...

shaq787
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shaq787 »

I might need to ask you a few questions about that in a few months.

~Alex

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

I have had little success with the cam replacements. The last one I got was all wrong, the profiles on the fingers wouldn't allow the wheel to turn (yes it was the right part number).

The entire switch and pigtail is available as a repop. I put one in my 69 Fury last year. It was $50 from Harden's Muscle Car World, it also available elsewhere. You reuse your old wire harness connector and feed the new pins into it. The only difference I noticed is that my old one had a roller on the horn contact and the new one is just spring loaded. Give it a nice coat of dielectric grease or it will squeak when the wheel turns.

shaq787
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shaq787 »

I was not able to use the new cam in the column, the old sloppy column bearings allowed the inside of the column to get very beat up. All the internals were not salvageable. I picked up a nice universal signal switch from Ivan's old dodge truck parts. I stopped by his shop today, he has a lot of the little detail parts, no whole trucks or body parts. The switch I have is a Sparton that he pulled off of a 72 jeep.

~Alex