FBO systems voltage regulator

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

FBO systems voltage regulator

Post by chilort »

I've got a '68 Sweptline. It had electronic ignition when I got it and I converted that to an MSD. Even before the MSD, the lights would dim high and low and high and low due to the old style mechanical voltage regulator. I don't plan on installing any big time stuff other than the MSD and it'll never see more than a few amps because it is a truck, not a high rpm drag car. So I left the alternator alone and simply ordered one of FBO systems voltage regulators. It came today and installed in a snap (if you haven't seen them, they are designed to be a direct swap for the old points style regulator -- no cutting and splicing). I LOVE IT. My headlights are now rock solid. I still have dim at low idle, but my '83 Ram has always had that issue too. No big deal.

So here's a thumbs up to the people at FBO. Great product.

dashshifter
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dashshifter »

Yeah, I got one a year ago and it was great, at first. Lately its giving me trouble.
It spikes, going from no charge to full charge and back about 30 times a minute.
It must have gone bad. I liked it enough that I'll get another one. Like you said it rocks
when its right.
Steven Reinke
'67 D-100
'68 D-100
What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.
Samuel Clemens

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

dashshifter wrote:Yeah, I got one a year ago and it was great, at first. Lately its giving me trouble.
It spikes, going from no charge to full charge and back about 30 times a minute.
It must have gone bad. I liked it enough that I'll get another one. Like you said it rocks
when its right.
That sounds like classic ground problems.....
battery to engine, engine to fire wall, frame
to cab, reg to fire wall, ect........

http://imageevent.com/jeffc/techstuff2e ... =4&s=0&z=2
I like these as a easy upgrade to the old points type reg and there not that much $, but they
will make the alt gauge swing too if the grounds
are poor....
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

Go to foursecondsflat.com and spend the $140 for their kit and through your MSD crap away. You will NOT be sorry.
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

When my MSD crap fails I might give FBO's other products a try. Unfortunately for me, the MSD crap I buy seems to last for a very long time and function well, so it might be a bit before I get to report on FBO's other products.

By the way, Jeffc, nice link.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

I can't guarantee all replacements are like this, but most parts store voltage regulators you buy today will look and wire like the mechanicals, but have modern solid state goodies inside. I now the one for my 69 Plymouth was like this. Both my trucks are newer (70-71) and already use the newer design, so I can't compare them.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

thats the way the one foir my 65 crew is. looks and wires just like the original, but is solid state circuitry. bought it over the counter at napa. the guy told me it was the standard replacement, the mech ones were going away. my lights will still dim at idle, but its going to at 450rpm. but no more flicker and it only cost $8. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton
State: OK

Post by JJ »

Sounds like Jimmy has had some experiance with FBO products. Wonder where he got that from :lol: . Anyway if any of you haven't been to Don's websight you are missing some of the best stuff that's out there for Mopar. His ignition is light years ahead of it's time and that's just the start.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in one hand,cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"what a ride&quot