painless wiring

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
zdatdodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

painless wiring

Post by zdatdodge »

I have a 68d100 that someone swapped a 318 into. None of the gauges work or inside lights. The brake/running turnsignal lights are dim and it looks like the wires are hacked up. The guy I bought it off got them working so I could drive it home.
To make a long question shorter, Im considering getting a painless wire set up. Any one have thoughts/suggestions on this and which one to get. I want to be able to hook up my trailer lights with no problem and have a stereo/ac/cb all the goodies. Im thinking this would be better in the long run than attempting to figure out the original wire harness. I also have all new autometer old tyme gauges waiting to be wired up.
Thanks in advance.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

I say GO FOR IT! I would get the factory wiring diagram and follow it so you have something to go back to. It will also give you clues to the ballast resister wiring and the way the turn signal cancels the brake light. Make sure your new fuel gauge is for the Mopar sending unit.

Later.....Don

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

i have used painless in the past, good quality product. all you do is call thier rep, let him/her know what options you want, and what all will be wired on the truck, and they will help you to get a fuse panel thats not too big or too small. i had plenty of slack on all the wires, they are labled about every 12 inches down the wire for easy tracking, and the new fuse boxes are compact and easy to mount just about anywhere. plus they come in various stages of completetion. you can get from just the fuse block and wires, all the way up to every swtich and juction in the whole harness if you like. i say go for it, doesnt take much more then being able to look at the original diagram for basic guidence, and knowing how to cimp a wire. the painless instructions will help you with the rest. they also have a great group of guys on thier help line that can get you thru anything that stumps you. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

zdatdodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by zdatdodge »

Ok, thanks for the replies guys. So far two of you mention the original wire diagram. Is there a better place to get one, I got the one online but the small print is hard to read.