Any one ever use a universal rewire kit?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
Hotfoot
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Any one ever use a universal rewire kit?

Post by Hotfoot »

Has any one ever used a universal rewire kit to wire their truck?

I am about ready to rip everything out and start new. Previous owners have messed the stock wiring up big time!

The cold and mosquito's in the summer are fighting me while I try to work on Bubba Grump!
If it Ain't Breaking than you ain't driving it hard enough!

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

I ordered a universal kit from Painless for the Chally. What a great kit! A good way to go if you want to start over. They make great kits for all different types. :salut
Doug

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

I rewired with a Painless kit also. I used a 12 circuit universal for a PU. My only complaint was it did not include a B/U light circuit and the 4 way flashers go off when you step on the brake, like GM's do. Probably because it is based on GM circuitry. :pale I did have a starting issue that was wiring related and we had to jumper a couple of the ignition switch connections to get it to work correctly. Has been that way for over 6 years. Couple of years ago had trouble with some wiring connections inside the cab. Called Painless and they knew about the trouble and have totally eliminated those connections on the later kits. They gave me the information on what to do to repair it and sent me a kit to eliminate it completely. So far I have not installed it and everything is still good. No real complaints and is pretty easy to install if you lay everything out like they tell you.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

zdatdodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by zdatdodge »

I have a painless wire kit right now waiting to be installed w my new gauges.
It looks to be fairly easy as everything is nicely labeled.
It only took me about 1.5 hrs to pull the old harness off. I didnt want to mess with the squirrels nest the previous owners had left behind.

Hotfoot
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Hotfoot »

zdatdodge wrote: It only took me about 1.5 hrs to pull the old harness off. I didnt want to mess with the squirrels nest the previous owners had left behind.
I have a plate of spaghetti in mine! Hopefully this spring I will be able to get it done and drive the old beast!
If it Ain't Breaking than you ain't driving it hard enough!

73_Adventurer_Sport
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lindale, Texas

Post by 73_Adventurer_Sport »

I've heard both good and bad about the aftermarket universal kits, but haven't tried them myself. I know they are designed for GM systems, so some adaptation is required for Mopars.

Rewiring without a kit isn't very difficult. I almost totally rewired my '64 Valiant and updated the fuses to the new blade style. I also added a 2nd fuse block to accomodate my power seats, modern sound system, more gauges and additional lighting.

The biggest problem was finding a crimper for the old "58" series contacts so I could retain the stock connectors. I finally found one that was close, and modified it with a dremel to work with the old contacts.

Even with having to buy the crimper, it was a fraction of the price I was quoted for a kit.

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ottawa, Ontario
State: Foreign

Post by reallylongnickname »

xxx
Last edited by reallylongnickname on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

RussRoth wrote:I rewired with a Painless kit also. I used a 12 circuit universal for a PU. My only complaint was it did not include a B/U light circuit and the 4 way flashers go off when you step on the brake, like GM's do. Probably because it is based on GM circuitry. :pale I did have a starting issue that was wiring related and we had to jumper a couple of the ignition switch connections to get it to work correctly. Has been that way for over 6 years. Couple of years ago had trouble with some wiring connections inside the cab. Called Painless and they knew about the trouble and have totally eliminated those connections on the later kits. They gave me the information on what to do to repair it and sent me a kit to eliminate it completely. So far I have not installed it and everything is still good. No real complaints and is pretty easy to install if you lay everything out like they tell you.
what model of harness was it? Was it the right model?

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

reallylongnickname wrote:Hello. Its been over a year since I been here. Has anyone ever gotten around to making a wiring harness for swept line yet? or is the universal kit for GM still being used?
As far as aftermarket I don't think there is such a thing. As far as a GM only harness, I don't what that would have to do with a carb. Except maybe the EI, but thats too easy anyway.

If you ask me, this is the easiest and best way to go. :2cents
http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalo ... rchField=6
Doug

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Hotfoot wrote:
zdatdodge wrote: It only took me about 1.5 hrs to pull the old harness off. I didnt want to mess with the squirrels nest the previous owners had left behind.
I have a plate of spaghetti in mine! Hopefully this spring I will be able to get it done and drive the old beast!
I`ve got u both beat. Mine has a 120v breaker box under the hood! Its gotta go.

I`m just a back hard mechanic. Should I attempt changing the wiring harness myself? This is what painless told me...

the 10104 would be the one to use, but remember
this is a universal harness and is based off of GM wire colors. It will take a little experience to adapt this harness to a Dodge. Thank you for
contacting Painless

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by RussRoth »

reallylongnickname wrote:
I`m just a back hard mechanic. Should I attempt changing the wiring harness myself? This is what painless told me...

the 10104 would be the one to use, but remember
this is a universal harness and is based off of GM wire colors. It will take a little experience to adapt this harness to a Dodge. Thank you for
contacting Painless
I have the # I used on mine but would have to go look it up. If you are reasonably mechanical you can put these in without an excessive amount of distress. Just lay everything out like the instructions say and think through how/where you want to route everything. It will do away with all the old connections and update your wiring. There are several companies that make kits besides Painless.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

taintedspeed
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by taintedspeed »

i did two of them and neither one took as long as they said it would take. i will agree with all who have said lay it out and follow the directions. i put a kit in my 66 dart and one in a 54 chev. i think we used the same kit both times, i think the chev took more adaptation than the dart. anyway, they are really straight forward and pretty simple to install. good luck and that is the way i will go if i have to do another one. -Randy
all mopar all the time

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

The manual says: "The ballast resistor has been eliminated from this kit due to lack of consumer usage. If one is needed for your application, please call". What is "needed application"? Did u guys hook up the ballist or leave it out?

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by RussRoth »

I don't have one but that's because I am using an MSD box.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires