New heater blower motor?

Wiring, lights, heater controls, anything electrical..
poorboy4wd
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: barrington
State: NH

New heater blower motor?

Post by poorboy4wd »

Put in a universal heater switch with resistors on the back and on low or medium the resistors glow bright red so I figured the old motor was drawing too much current and needed replacing so I pulled it out a few months ago and can no longer find it. I bought what seems like every website is suggesting to be the correct motor but A- it’s too long B the mounting studs are on the opposite end of where they need to be. Can anyone point me in the correct direction for a part number? Truck is a 66
Hand me my hat. Excuse me man, where's the door

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Re: New heater blower motor?

Post by powerwagon54 »

to my knowledge they do not make a replacement new heater motor for the sweptline. I have good used ones if you get down to it.

poorboy4wd
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by poorboy4wd »

Thank you for the response. I suppose il make a bracket to use this one and jot down the part number that I have for future reference down the road

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Those resistors get hot as hell on the low speeds. If the motor is drawing too many amps it would be smoking and the fuse would blow. How about getting an ammeter and measuring what the actual current draw is before assuming there is a problem.

poorboy4wd
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by poorboy4wd »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Those resistors get hot as hell on the low speeds. If the motor is drawing too many amps it would be smoking and the fuse would blow. How about getting an ammeter and measuring what the actual current draw is before assuming there is a problem.
Thanks. The bearings were shot as well and like I said I can’t find the old blower motor. I disassembled the new blower motor and removed the magnets and welded a flange on to the motor housing to secure it to the heater box. Reassembled the new motor and tried it on low with no change in color across the resistor. I understand they get hot but this sucker was a fire hazard with the original motor.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Like I said, if the motor ain't smoking on high speed, then there is nothing wrong with it. If the new motor is a higher HP than the old one it will draw more current. If that is the case, the resistors will not be rated at high enough wattage to handle the current and will get hotter than they would with the correct size motor. There is no fix for that mismatch.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

I replaced one recently in my61 and found the right motor. I don't have part number sorry. I did have to pull the studs and put them in from the other side.

poorboy4wd
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by poorboy4wd »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Like I said, if the motor ain't smoking on high speed, then there is nothing wrong with it. If the new motor is a higher HP than the old one it will draw more current. If that is the case, the resistors will not be rated at high enough wattage to handle the current and will get hotter than they would with the correct size motor. There is no fix for that mismatch.
Not sure if the hp was the same between the two but when I said no change in color on the resistors I meant it didn’t start to glow red hot with the new motor on low or medium Like the old motor did.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Oh, misunderstood. Thot it was the new motor that heated up the resisters. So the problem is getting the new one mounted up, not the switch......
There are plenty of good used ones available. Bud or myself have boxes of them and almost every truck in a junkyard will have one.

64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Post by 64D100Poly »

I'm in the middle of writing up a post on the whole blower motor situation, I will post shortly and post the link here, mine burned up too.
A grinder & paint make me the welder I ain't

-1965 (early) D100 Sweptline Daily
-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
-1968 Barracuda Formula S
OO\===/OO