More Spring Questions

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

More Spring Questions

Post by nfury8 »

This whole spring thing is driving me nuts. I realize I am going to probably have to hook up with Eaton, but in the meantime I am trying to collect some info.

My 70 W200 Crew has 8 leafs in the rear no block. The springs are 52" long and the pin is in the middle, 26"/26". The total height is 8 1/2". My 71 which is a 4x4 conversion, has 4 leafs and a 5 1/2" block. The pin is still 26/26. The springs are 3" high, so the the same 8 1/2" when the block is added.

I spoke with a local spring shop and they had the info on the springs, but couldn't get the parts or something. I don't know. So I asked them about 85 springs, since that is what the previous owner told me was on the 71. The spring shop said that the 85's were 52" also, but the pin was different. They were 28/24. So my 71 conversion probably isn't using 85 springs as I was told.

So then I called SkyJacker and asked them what their springs were. The tech said they didn't sell rear springs for 61-71 Dodges. When I pointed out that their website says they do and all their vendors say they do, he said "That is wrong! we need to pull that info" I asked him if the pin location was the only difference, he said pretty much. So I asked, how do I bug about making them, he said they probably would never offer them, not worth it. Ok, No SkyJacker.

So then I called Rough Country, they list a 70-74 rear spring, huh?? I asked that tech "What about 69?" He didn't know. I aksed him what the pin distances were, He didn't know. Arch? Didn't know. Then pointed out that 71 and 72 were probably different, he said I really needed to call back Wednesday when the old truck guru was in. Ok...

So now I have some questions.

Did all 69-71 W200's have no block?
Would a W100 have blocks?
Did the pin offset change to 28"/24" in 72?
What were the various spring combinations available on a W100 and W200?

-Thanks!

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

look up St Louis Spring Company. They have been in business for a long time. There in the city of St Louis, Missouri. I had them make a set of 3 inch drop springs for the front of my 67 d100 shortbed. They just asked me how many leafs per leaf pack did i have. Which was a four leaf set. And with the 3 inch drop the cost was like $76 bucks for the left side and like $78-79 for the right side? had something to do with one side having 1/2 inch difference in height then the other side.?? Said thats what was the build info in there books. Also after i got them made i decied to get rid of the slant six and go with a 440. SO i called them and asked if they could add a leaf or two to the pack and they said no problem and they also said they can rearch them if they come out to low for the truck. Seems like a good shop to me...just not sure if they ship? I would think they can arange shipping.

I bet there half the price of EATON SPRING, and just as good.

Cliff

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

Any good spring shop should be able to make just about any spring you want or need. I didn't have any trouble having a set made for mine. Betts spring in Portland.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

I had some springs made for my Fury about 12 yrs ago and it all went smooth. The local guy I talked to this week said custom springs were going to cost a fortune, which didn't seem right.

I need to see if I can find the invoice from way back when.

But I need to figure out what was available so I have some reference points.

Thomas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grand Forks
State: ND

Post by Thomas »

I have a spring question myself. Is it possible to get a hold of a set of springs based on the numbers on the data plate? IE: front 1250 rear 1400?> Or be able to have a set made based on that info?
1968 D100 318 727 373

Someday I'll have a whole quonset full of Dodge Trucks....