Gotta know, no BS now, do Chevy mid 80's rear springs hold a

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
rock
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Gotta know, no BS now, do Chevy mid 80's rear springs hold a

Post by rock »

Hi Guys!

WEll as promised by yall, front spring set went right in. I was still having a clutch chatter problem and thought maybe rear pinion and transplant tranny shaft output might be so far off as to cause the chatter. Took the ole truck to a FINE truck place to check this and I was right! EXCEPT they showed me the rear driver side spring is really shot. It lets the truck set slaunchwise down about 2 inches from the other side. Never saw it before because the passenger front was really gone as in recurved back, so they corners kinda canceled each other out.

Unfortunately it seems a rear spring set for a 64 d100 utiline is unobtanium. I found a place that says the mid 80's Chevy (I can hardly type the words) springs bolt right in as they too are 26" and 26" eye to center to eye, and are also 2 1/2 inches wide. Chevy springs use a 9/16 bolt in the eye, but we all can drill a 9/16 hole in an existing 1/2" in the shackle so no problem.

Except my main source Espo Springs and Things says, wait now, THey may bolt right up but do they have the arch to hold the bed at the same height? Can they keep the bed from wallowing? Hey, I dunno!

Any of you guys know for sure...as in done it? Can I put in a chebby set and ride off to the sunset, or should I be putting an ad in the the wanted section of the forum?

Thanks!
rock
'64d100

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Can't your original springs be re-arched, or are they completely shot? If the Chevrolet springs are the same length and all you need is to ream a set of holes to fit them, run with it! Espo has the measurements for nearly every spring ever made. If you can put a spring set off yours next to one of their springs, you should be able to get an idea. Obviously, your spring might look goofy compared to a new spring, but if the new spring has a greater arch to it, you'll have a better ride height than you had with your worn-out spring, though it MAY NOT be the original 1964 ride height -- see what I'm saying?

I'd say give it a shot! A set of used Dodge springs are going to run you more money with shipping and all, and they may or may not be any better than your originals. Something like springs and brakes - you need to do it right the first time. A half-assed job is a dangerous job.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

rear springs

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Springs are not hard to get. any spring shop has them, and so does http://www.eatonsprings.com every spring shop I have talked to have springs, the key is not that they are only Dodge, actually its the metal and the Spring arch and size but numerous people have gotten springs from eaton :Thumbsup you can get them with any amount of arch you want.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

I tried to talk to Mickey at Eaton yesterday. I did not get that warm fuzzy feeling like he knew what was going on. I wasn't able to get very many questions answered. Specially when it came to ride height.

Espo doesn't open till after Jan 2.