New Idea For IFS?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
SUPRDUD
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Nebraska

Post by SUPRDUD »

Hate to say it, but this will be a "Fat Men" fabricaton......I can't recall that I ever saw the pics of Baddeeds front end. I thought he used some Corvette parts? I would love to see the photos of the install. I know it rides low and looks cool.

The main point I am trying to make is that the distance from the top of the Cordoba or Volare crossmember to the spot where the top a-frame locates is shorter than the height of the truck frame rail. So some cutting will need to happen.

I would love to see the pics of the C body install with not much cutting. As the torsion bars sit inside the frame rails, they have to get there some how. On my Grandad's old Ferd, they put the crossmember pretty much under the frame, and wished they had cut it in from the bottom. I think they could crank up the torsion bars and put some 33's on there!

Robin, I sent you some pics of it. Hope to make it to your deal someday. I haven't made it to CO since '89.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

IFS

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Thanks for the pictures SuprDud, it looks like it went on the ford easier than I would have guessed. BADEEDs did use parts from the vette, the deal is though, just Like I see, he made his crossmember to go across on the original Sweptline frame, then you just mount the mount for the upper control arm on the top of the Sweptline frame, its just like adding power steering pump to an existing engine, put on the brackets and mount, no cutting of the frame, easy, :Thumbsup thats why the guys used the C body, because they didn't feel confident in making there own crossmember, thats really all thats needed. the control arms can be bought, the only important thing to remember is distance from the frame to spindle, to be as close as possible, the C4 just happens to fit the same as the existing straight axle

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone

Post by fosh69 »

Hey y'all... just got a reply about a bolt-in kit under development over at http://www.reillymotorsports.com and in a month or so he'll have a kit that will be able to accomodate different frame widths and such... here's the reply I got:

"In a few weeks I'm going to finish the first of a design intended specifically for changing the width. Mostly at Carlisle, I get alot of requests for street rod systems, or more specifically, custom-width systems for various odd projects. A car ended up in my shop last year that lent itself very well to this idea, so I began working on a self-contained system that only requires 2 bare frame rails to attach it to, and with custom-width manual racks, the width can be changed to be nearly anything you want. Power racks of course can not be narrowed(widened,yes), but with a manual, the sky's the limit.
So in a nutshell, yes, in about a month there will be a self-contained alterktion that we can adjust for frame width, and possibly varied suspension width(frame to hub dimension)."

His kits are a bit pricy until you look at the engineering and quality put into them, especially those people that don't have either the means or the desire to cut-weld-fab a front suspension. Anyway... just another avenue for IFS :Thumbsup

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

IFS

Good to hear from you :Thumbsup Hows your project? and thanks for the :goodpost

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosh69 »

My project is at a stand-still, I movedout of the house and the ex lives there... still trying to sell the house, but when it does finally sell, I'll get busy on it again... got a storage place lined out big enough for all my junk and the shop stuff, too... then I hope to get my hands on some real property and start on a shop. Just a pipe dream now, though.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

New idea IFS

Sorry to hear that, but I know how that is, I'm in an apartment and can't do much of anything, do you have the same phone#??

fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fosh69 »

yeah, my cell is the best way to reach me :Thumbsup Or else email me.

army64100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by army64100 »

My brother lives across the street from me he has a 73 charger (B-body) In process of putting a 383 in it. If someone tells me where to measure I'd be glad to do it. If it helps another fellow mopar nut. :Thumbsup

MBigDaddyM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Seattle, WA

Post by MBigDaddyM »

army64100 wrote:My brother lives across the street from me he has a 73 charger (B-body) In process of putting a 383 in it. If someone tells me where to measure I'd be glad to do it. If it helps another fellow mopar nut. :Thumbsup
I believe the correct measurement would be outside framerail to outside framerail. [____] Easiest spot would be right under the front bumper. -BD
Delusions of invincibility combined with a strong homicidal urge. I have a kick-your-@#% fetish.
67 D100 CSS
69 Charger
75 Dart Sport
94 Dakota SLT

army64100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by army64100 »

My brothers 73 b-body charger is 39 1/4, it is a big block K-bar with a 383. Let me point out that this charger was hard to measure (no whinning!)The frame came out of the engine compartment straight 1 in. before both sides split to mount the bumper. Hope this helps! And yes I know how to read a tape measure, its what I do for a living. :lol: