Upgrades......... conversions!!!

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Upgrades......... conversions!!!

Post by wide65 »

The 4x4 axles from a 70's dodge PU...... Bolt up? I would update the master cyl. for the brakes........ I want to turn mine into a 4x4 but want the manual locking hubs...... I am not worried about the welding of brackets if needed.. but want to know what I will be getting into...... Thinking 3/4 ton!! What should I look for as far as years, part #'s etc?

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

I have a 60HD rear axle in mine from an '84 D350. Was nearly a bolt in. Some issues with shock mounts and brake line sizes but both were pretty easy fixes.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

wide65 if you go with the 3/4 springs on a 1/2 frame you will need to make the spring mount holes a little bigger , I think just one size up to fit the larger bolts , it's a easy fix but need's to done what your realy doing is just honeing the holes a bit bigger
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

If you have deep pockets,its hard to beat 89-93 Dodge dana60 fronts.look for the 3.54 or 4.1 ratio. Stay away from the 3.07 unless that is the ratio you want FOREVER.

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

digdoug wrote:If you have deep pockets,its hard to beat 89-93 Dodge dana60 fronts.look for the 3.54 or 4.1 ratio. Stay away from the 3.07 unless that is the ratio you want FOREVER.

How can I tell the difference? and what about rear?
RussRoth..... That was my plan.... exactly what you did.. ....
I know I have to make/hone new mounts...... But I hate not being able to have a friend no safely drive in snow...also I would like a bit more payload!!!

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

All the square body style dodge cummins diesel trucks came with dana60 fronts.They have a "60"cast into the housing webbing.The ratio is on a tag on the cover. The 3.07 ratio, also called a dana"61" has the housing modifyed for the high gears,and that is what you are stuck with.

If you aren't running big tires,or doing crazy stuff,you can save lots of money by getting a dana44 or 44hd front.

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

digdoug wrote:All the square body style dodge cummins diesel trucks came with dana60 fronts.They have a "60"cast into the housing webbing.The ratio is on a tag on the cover. The 3.07 ratio, also called a dana"61" has the housing modifyed for the high gears,and that is what you are stuck with.

If you aren't running big tires,or doing crazy stuff,you can save lots of money by getting a dana44 or 44hd front.
I am looking at 33" tires top.... but I do a lot of pulling/hauling!!!