lowering question 70d100

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
cheapshot

lowering question 70d100

Post by cheapshot »

i was looking at my rear shackle hanger (front one)on my 70 d100 and it looks like i should be able to unbolt the bracket from the frame and flip it upside down, placing the hanger now upsidedown. this should give me a few inches in the rear without sacrificing the ride quality ascociated with removing springs. has anyone ever tried this, and if so, did you run into any problems?

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

lowering

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

wouldn't it be easier to just put the axle on top of the springs???? :thinking

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

no way, there is only four bolts per bracket. you wouldnt even have to disconect the springs.... that is unless im missing something. i was looking at it again today, and it seems to good to be true. it should lower it about 3-4 inches, and shouldnt take very long.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

From what I understand this truck was done that way, both front and back.

Tufftruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: lowering question 70d100

Post by Tufftruck »

cheapshot wrote:i was looking at my rear shackle hanger (front one)on my 70 d100 and it looks like i should be able to unbolt the bracket from the frame and flip it upside down, placing the hanger now upsidedown. this should give me a few inches in the rear without sacrificing the ride quality ascociated with removing springs. has anyone ever tried this, and if so, did you run into any problems?
Cheapshot:
Any pics of what you are describing?

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

lowering

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

maybe pictures would be better, because the bracket comes from the factory riveted to the frame, and to put the axle on top, is the easiest, you would only have to take the tire off and disconnect the "U" bolts, then put on top of springs on each side, my rear leaf mount is mounted with the spring perch at its highest point, there's no more drop :thinking

Roger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Loganville GA
State: GA

Post by Roger »

Are you trying to raise it? I flipped the shackles on a 63 ferd galaxy 4 dr back in my youth and it raised the rear end about 3 inches. As I remember correctly I disconnected the shock and raised the rear end off of the ground with a bumper jack then used the jack lever to flip the shackles.
Roger, '65 4 eyed short bed.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Here is the thread of the truck I pictured above. It has better pictures of how this was done.

http://sweptline.org/modules.php?name=F ... 9a83a3d0e4

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

I dont see any pics of how it was done?? Especially the front axle? Iam i missing something?

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

sorry for not responding earlier, ive been out today working on the truck, and after scraping years of rust and road grime off i realized that what i thought were bolts are actually rivets. i have decided to go ahead and flip the axle tomorrow. hopefully i will be able to get some pics up tomorrow when i am finished. sorry for the goosechase.

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

after looking at it again, i decided to go ahead and try flipping the front bracket. i used a die grinder to cut the heads off the rivets, punched them out and flipped the bracket. i then installed new bolts and tightened everything up. this gave me about 5 inches and only took about 2.5 hrs. it was much easier then flipping the axle, i kept more travel this way and none of my rear driveline geometry changed. as soon as i can find my camera, i will get some pics up. im about to go pick up my new axle from the salvage yard and drop it off at the local hotrod shop to be dropped 4 inches. ill keep you posted.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

CLIFF wrote:I dont see any pics of how it was done?? Especially the front axle? Iam i missing something?
No, your not missing anything. It doesn't show the front. The guy said he was going to post more pictures of how he did it but he never did.

I can't tell for sure but maybe he did flip the axle on the rear. When I originally asked him if he flipped the hangers I hadn't looked at mine closely. The rear one looked upside down to me. I know that the hanger isn't upsidedown and the rivets are still in it. Flipping it would raise the truck. I don't think flipping the front hanger would do much but I can't get the pictures to show so I can't tell. Maybe longer shackles would work too.

I just saw the post where you flipped the front and it worked. I must have been writing this when you posted. :Thumbsup Cant wait to see the pictures.

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

cheapshot wrote:after looking at it again, i decided to go ahead and try flipping the front bracket. i used a die grinder to cut the heads off the rivets, punched them out and flipped the bracket. i then installed new bolts and tightened everything up. this gave me about 5 inches and only took about 2.5 hrs. it was much easier then flipping the axle, i kept more travel this way and none of my rear driveline geometry changed. as soon as i can find my camera, i will get some pics up. im about to go pick up my new axle from the salvage yard and drop it off at the local hotrod shop to be dropped 4 inches. ill keep you posted.
Hey Cheapshot.... Would love to se some pics. Your saying you dropped the rear 5 inches by just flipping the front spring hanger on the rear?? Thats alot of drop! I cant wait to see :goodpost