king pins replacement "wondering how hard it is to do&q

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Dz_Nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tx

king pins replacement "wondering how hard it is to do&q

Post by Dz_Nutz »

Im getting ready to change out my king pins but i just wanted to get some tips or advice before i get it under way. :study :pale Its a 70 d200 and when i go to the parts store it asks for nylon shims or metal shims. does it matter whitch one i go with or is one better than the other? thanks

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

The bronze bushings are better than the nylon for durability - but are a little more difficult to install. The bronze bushings require reaming to size after being pressed in.
The difficult part can be getting the old pins and bushings knocked out of the axle/knuckle. Having good support under the axle helps as this transfers most of the impact directly to the pins or bushings.
Be sure to remove the retaining bolt (screwed in the side) before attempting to drive out the pins - and make sure the flat on the new pin is lined up with the hole for the retaining bolt.

Some folks have simply removed the front axle assy and taken it to a shop to have the work done there.
It is however within the scope of the backyard mechanic.
SAFETY! be sure the truck is (VERY) properly supported.

Blue67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

easy

Post by Blue67 »

Mine was fairly easy. Put it on jack stands. Using a BIG hammer and drift I drove the king pins out. Using a socket and extension that just fit in the hole I drove the old bronze bushings out. I used the nylon bushings to save the machine shop bill but would use bronze if I had a little more money. As Seabee says the bronze bushings have to be pressed in and then reamed to the correct size. I put grease inside the thrust washer as I installed them. Put it all back together and grease it up.
Have heard of pins that just did not want to move no matter how big the hammer. Hope yours are as easy as mine were.
You might want to keep the old parts as you tear it down as the kit I got was missing a bolt and lock washer and I had to reuse the old ones..

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

when you order your king pins they are gonna ask you if you want bushing or bearing king pins. go with the bearing style. i drove a truck with these installed, you would swear it had power steering. :Thumbsup from what i was told, no mods were needed. they were on a 69 or 70 d200.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

gitch
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by gitch »

Is there anyone in Arizona who knows of a good place to have this done?

Dz_Nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tx

Is there a diff. between a 2800 lbs axle and a 3800 axle

Post by Dz_Nutz »

I was wondering if there is a diff. between a 2800lbs front axle and a 3800lbs axle dealing with the king pins and going with the ball bearing with metal bushings. any info would be helpfull. I also found out that my center link has a bend in it, would that make a diff. with the alignment and steering or do i need a new one? :thinking :pale :banghead

Snowdogg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Snowdogg »

Hope this will help?Image

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton
State: OK

Post by JJ »

Whichever way you go on the bushings, soak the old kingpins in penatrating oil as long as you can. Mine came out with just a few smacks with a large sledge. As far as the nylon bushings go, a machinest friend of mine told me he has actually seen the nylon bushings wear the hardened steel pins if they were greased regularly. I've had them in my truck for several thousand miles with no problems but I do grease them every oil change (3000 miles). If they do every wearout it will be a snap to change.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in one hand,cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"what a ride&quot

zdatdodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by zdatdodge »

What holds the pins in? I took off the grease cap on top. I dont see any bolts coming in the side to hold the pins in. I took a few whacks at mine with a hammer and drift but did not get a budge.

67LSD200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: West palm beach
State: FL

Re: Is there a diff. between a 2800 lbs axle and a 3800 axle

Post by 67LSD200 »

Dz_Nutz wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:29 pm
I was wondering if there is a diff. between a 2800lbs front axle and a 3800lbs axle dealing with the king pins and going with the ball bearing with metal bushings. any info would be helpfull. I also found out that my center link has a bend in it, would that make a diff. with the alignment and steering or do i need a new one? :thinking :pale :banghead
The 2800lb front axle, the "Reverse Elliot" type, has the steering knuckle bushings in the steering knuckle, while the 4000lb "Elliot" type front axle has it's bushings in the I-beam itself
"Every time you hit the brakes, you put your life in the hands of your feet"

64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Re: king pins replacement "wondering how hard it is to do&q

Post by 64D100Poly »

I changed mine a while back and the pins just fell out after a couple of taps, the hard part was when I needed to ream the new bronze bushings, I couldn't afford the reamer and used up 2 wheel cylinder hones lol, worked though! only took 3 hours.. :Thumbsup
A grinder & paint make me the welder I ain't

-1965 (early) D100 Sweptline Daily
-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
-1968 Barracuda Formula S
OO\===/OO