Quick quest. re. front spring installation

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
rock
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Quick quest. re. front spring installation

Post by rock »

Hi folks!

I vanished a few months...got laid off because as an old fart I wasn't a good team member at work...then the kid that came in pissed everybody off so he got let go and I got called back with a raise...so since August I got to play with my truck nearly full time in the back yard. Heck, let go and computer died too! Good thing they still sold beer. Installed turbo and efi and rewired everything and added a plasma cut stainless dash gage insert with cool gages. Lots more fun than day work but pays significantly less. As in outgo not income. But I digress.

Because there really isn't much left to fix or modify I got a nice new set of front leaf springs ordered and on the way. Is the spring install as easy as it looks? Do you just unbolt old from shackles and slide in the new set? What are the unforseen perils? Can I jack up the truck enough to work easily? Do I have to pre compress or tension the spring to get it to fit the brackets...sure doesn't look like much of job just laying around looking at it but I have had years trickle away after thinking that before!
Thanks
rock
'64d100

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

pretty straight up. the wore out spring will come out easy. in the past if the new spring needed any compression i would shackle it up, then start resting the wieght of the truck on it to hook up the u-bolts. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Rock, we just did a 68 here , both front spring's in about 2 hr's , lifetd truck set jack stand just behind wheel lowered truck on to stand leave floor jack under axel loosen all bolt's/nut's on one side & so on lower jsak pulled the spring & reverce to install new springmove over to other side & your good to go
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

hey dave, you ever get the springs out from under the 66?? i still want them if you dont. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Trey , I still have them , there still on the truck, I do have the , but I now have the other spring pack's, laying in the bed , I need to change the bushing out & put them on
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

Hold everything! Such a casual mention of beer, turbo, and EFI will NOT fly! We need to talk. As soon as you can get to it I'd love to see some detail text and pics of the mods. :Thumbsup

Good to hear your back at work, and see you back here!