lowering question

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
cheapshot

lowering question

Post by cheapshot »

ok, i have read, i think, all the post on lowering a sweptline, so now i have a question. i just picked up a 70 model and have been thinking of all the ways to do it, most of wich has been confirmed here. my question is, what is the easiest way to get the most drop. all of the info seems to conflict one another at some point, i just want to know what is the most i can get without, flipping, bagging, or notching. thanks

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

Easiest way to get the most drop is essentially a misnomer / impossible.
3" with a different set of springs (like the ones from Espo); moderately easy.

Everything else (flipping/bagging/notching)... fab skills and or mad money required.

Don't discount the effects of the 3" drop though; a few inches of lowering and careful choice of tire size can make a dramatic difference in the look of the truck. I need to get the front of mine down to lose some of that unused wheel well airspace that looks like c#ap. I think the lower springs would do it for me. Then sometime later... bags, etc.

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

do you know what kind of effects one could expect from removing a few of the springs from the pack. i have read that it will improve the ride also. not looking to be in the weeds here, just a little lower for now.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

lowering

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

removing spring isn't going to do much of anything except put more stress on the remaining ones, if you do go that route remove every other, then if you don't like the results you can either send off the axle and have it droped 3" or http://www.eatonsprings.com has a "5" pack that drops the front 3". Or have the local spring shop "de-arch" yours, suggest that you keep a positive 1.5 arch so you don't "bottom out" on the oil pan :Thumbsup Before Spring mine will be getting droped 3", Disc brakes, and powersteering for under $600.00 :dance

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

thanks for the help, i guess there is no magic answer. ill just have to play around with it till i get something figured out.

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot »

one more dumb question, would air shocks not help this when lowered by removing leaf springs? if so, anyone know if they are available for the front, and if not, any idea what set would work with a little modification?

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

drop

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

No one has done this, but if you left one spring with the small airbag set you may get it down a few inches, however, the springs would be isolated. There is a monoleaf system that doesn't use steel springs so no worry of them breaking. de-arching is the least expensive route.