Power Rack for straight axle trucks

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Magnolia
State: TX

Powerrack Steering

Post by TedWitt »

I say do it the manly way, just whoop out the ole cutting tourch and welding machine and GIT ER DONE.

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Powersteering bracket

Post by TedWitt »

Hey Cliff, I was wondering if you realize just how much tourque is on the steering box and how much is sent to the frame. From what I saw in the picture, you need at least four time the bracket you are showing. Example, I had a '77 Dodge PU that actually tore a hole in the frame where the steering box mounted, I had to plate the frame on both sides and run a brace from the left side to the right side on the bottom of the frame just to brace it from twisting.

Please consider what I've said here, back up and take a good look at what you are doing, it could save you some trouble.

I'm not being a smarta** or trying to make you look bad, just concerned.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Quite a few trucks back in the day had a problem with the frame cracking near the steering box. Some of the more popular brands have a aftermarket support plate you can buy and install.

There is another alternative if you want power steering. It will cost you though. Flaming river has an inline electric steering conversion that works with either a manual rack or a manual box.
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/p ... prd356.htm

There are other companies that make electric racks and other steering components. Probably cost a lot less too. I don't know if anything would work on our trucks.

I was also looking in to the steering they use on forklifts. They usually have an I-beam axle. One particular forklift I looked at used a hydraulic ram that went from spindle to spindle. This might work.

There are lots of options out there.

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Rack n Pinion Pic

Post by TedWitt »

Here is a picture of the Rack n Pinion Kit sold for Ferd, now just how hard would it be to build this on our own......duh......the bracket is so simple.Image

bearstoys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Nevada

Post by bearstoys »

here are 3 pics of power @#% steering on my 68 camper special note leaf springsImage
not the best pics i know this but ask me how works and i will tell you plus you can get out your chiltons book mind are 70-76 67-88 gives a good drawing in both books of the axel with the steering ram this system comes off of the d and w 100 and 300 series trucks the d 500 pump is bigger i think i hope this will help i will help in anyway i canBEARS TOYS GONE HILL BILLYS ROCK

bearstoys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Nevada

Post by bearstoys »

top pics is the high pressure valve 2pic shows the ram hook up last pic is pump note the hose from pump that is wrapped up with heat wrap by the header pipe BEARS TOYS GONE HILLBILLYS ROCK

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Powersteering bracket

Post by CLIFF »

TedWitt wrote:Hey Cliff, I was wondering if you realize just how much tourque is on the steering box and how much is sent to the frame. From what I saw in the picture, you need at least four time the bracket you are showing. Example, I had a '77 Dodge PU that actually tore a hole in the frame where the steering box mounted, I had to plate the frame on both sides and run a brace from the left side to the right side on the bottom of the frame just to brace it from twisting.

Please consider what I've said here, back up and take a good look at what you are doing, it could save you some trouble.

I'm not being a smarta** or trying to make you look bad, just concerned.

This is not my project im showing pictures of...These are pics from a member here by the name of "DigDoug" And these are pics of his conversion he made up....He claims to have done this on d200's and has had no problem with his work so far......Oh there is one more bracket going from the top red bracket down to tranny crossmember mount on the back side of the box. The pics I showed wasnt of the complete setup...my bad..

Honestly I dont think theres alot of strain on box in daily driving..There isnt much resistance on the tire..Now if your talking rock climbing then yes i can see there being tons of torqe applied to to steering box and frame. Your problem you had on the 77 truck you mentioned was probably that the mounting bolts came loose then it gave way....Im just guessing.

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

RH62 wrote: Cliff the setup your talking about is a kit. That is the protech kit that they no longer make.

I dont know about any Protech kit?? The bracket in the pic was a home made fabrication piece that the guy that took the pic made..Now im not saying he didnt borrow the idea maybe.. but the setup in the pic is a home brew kit?? And im getting ready to do myself....And since im looking to flip the front axle I might be able to mount the box a little higher on the frame instead of cutting a pitman arm short...this way you can eliminate the bump steer...Like killin 2 birds with one Well placed marble!

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Power Steering

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Sounds like some trucks are gettin ready to get LOW :Thumbsup

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Steering

Post by TedWitt »

Well.........I popped the ole hood and got to looking, the rack & pinion conversion I posted a pic of may not work in my '69 D100. There is only two inches between the leaf springs and the headers........bummer.....I gotta come with some one inch or inch n a quarter steel somewhere.........later

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

what

I have a 440 and there is miles, and miles of space there, what happen to your truck???????????

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TedWitt »

Mine bured a piston, I pulled it out and left it at my Brothers' house and he was supposed to take care of it, BUT, He let it rain in it and it's too bad I think to bore, it was already 60 over. I still have the block, hoping there is a way to salvage it.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

help

re-sleeve it??????

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

440 resleeve

Post by TedWitt »

I wondered about that, I've still got the block, I wonder what it would cost?? (One the average)

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

block

I've not done it since the 70's at that time it was $15.00 a cylinder, have no earthly idea now?????

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Power Rack for straight axle trucks

Post by TedWitt »

When I build the rack n pinion for my '69 D100, I'll be sure to build a pattern so I can make and sell them to whoever needs them, with instructions.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Power Rack for straight axle trucks

:Thumbsup