64 D100 tire & wheel help

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

the power king is a good tire. they ride a bit rough when cold. you kinda have to warm them up with a few road miles. almost cant wear them out with normal use. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

TimLG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TimLG »

Power King Premium Super Highway (Made in China)7.00-15 LT's Load Range C are installed. Tire dealer had them inflated to 40 psi, felt like rocks but steering much lighter and gearing taller as I wanted. I lowered pressure to 28 psi, helped soften the ride. Any suggestions on tire pressure without a load?
Tim G

Roger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Loganville GA
State: GA

Post by Roger »

Tim, I always run minimum 32psi in my tires and try to run 36-38. The reason being is at 28psi if you don't keep a check on the tire pressures weekly (religiously) they will underinflate alot quicker and we all know what happened to Firestone and Ford. I ran 2 sets of those "bad" tires on my explorer at 38psi, when they got to 32 I could tell because it handled and swayed like crap. I never had a problem out of them, Inside to door sticker Ford recommended something like 24 front and 26 rear (Ford wanted customers to get the softest ride available on a truck chasis). People would never check them, they eventually got underinflated, overheated the side walls and boooom! they'd come apart and blow out. Factor in the already sway factor of the other 3 being underinflated and it would oversteer, overcorrect and ditch and flip. Oh well so much for my safety rant. I know Goodyear used to publish reccomended tire inflation tables based on gross vehicle weight, size and loadrange of tire. I'm not sure where to find one now. If you keep them at 28 best advise is to check them weekly, if the tread wears quicker on the inside and outside edges evenly, then increase the pressure by a couple of psi if you want to make the tires wear evenly, but remember once a wear pattern starts to show on a tire it will continue to wear that way untill it wears out. You can make it last longer by rotating every 3-5k miles or so. Most the time it comes down to personal preference, ride or mileage. I hope you find a happy medium. :thinking
Roger, '65 4 eyed short bed.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

first question should be, what is the max pressure listed on the tire?? on my 100, max is 35psi, i run them at 35. on my 200 max up front is 80psi, i run them at 60 empty, and the backs rate at 50psi and i run them at 40 empty. without knowing what the max pressure is, you really cant get an accurate answer. :Thumbsup problem is you arent going to get a soft ride from those tires without under inflating them. then they will wear out quicker. like i said before, they are tough tires, but they are rough. so whats the max recomended pressure??
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

TimLG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by TimLG »

The max pressure for the Power King Premium Super Highway is 45 psi. I tried different pressures but these things are going to shake the windshield out of my truck. They have a memory sitting in a 65 deg garage overnite with a huge flat spot that does not go away after 10 miles. The first mile or so they are un-driveable above 20mph. Needless to say, they are going back Monday a.m. I'm going to see how the 30 x9.5R15 will fit on the 5" wheels or go back to 235/75-15.
Tim G