drop straight axles

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
hotrodjohn68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

drop straight axles

Post by hotrodjohn68 »

Dave Mann http://www.roadsters.com/axles/
Roadsters.com
1645 E. Willetta St.
Phoenix, AZ 85006
(602) 233-8400 weekdays
davemann@roadsters.com

has only delt with tis guy before?
430 bucks gets an axel drop up to 4inches i want to go old school with my other truck. or may be some one could check him out?

john :Thumbsup

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

Im ready to do this. Im picking up a front axle and sway bar "donated from the swepty bone yard" friday and i was about ready to call this guy to ask some questions. Im concerned about the steering geometry...Im guessing its up to me to get that part of it figured out...I think I know what will fix the problem...Anyway I'll call him in a day or so. Ill let you know whats up.

Cliff

Shiny
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: bc

Post by Shiny »

Dave has a really good rep.
I've never heard a complaint bout him.
Hes been on the HAMB a long time and is well respected.

I have a jig setup to drop early ford axles in my shop.I'm gonna see if I can adapt it to drop sweptline axles.Won't know for a while though as were in the middle of building my new shop.....Shiny
"daddy smells like grinder" -lil Ember (my 4yo daughter)

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

As this topic comes up alot a question I have (maybe dumb), Shiny maybe you could help me, but when you drop and axle like that won't the tierod be pushed up 4inches....and won't that cause interferance elsewhere?
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

Shiny
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: bc

Post by Shiny »

Yeah but we all got gas axes right! :lol:

Usually I heat and bend the steering arms down so they won't interfere.(I'm not getting into a debate on this either :idea )
And I know guys wanna know about bumpsteer too.
Well whether your gonna put a dropped axle in,take some leafes out or flip the axle bumpsteer will factor in.One of the easier ways to fix this is to make your draglink into a 'Z'.....Shiny
"daddy smells like grinder" -lil Ember (my 4yo daughter)

Shaun
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Shaun »

Pretty extreme,just to get a few inches.
What about cutting the frame and shoving the spring hangers up farther to get those three inches(then boxing it in)? A lot easier than trying to figure out how to bend an axle and keep the holes the same-I could do it,but why?(build a jig,heat,then press).
I like the holes though. Now that's cool. I was planning on that,but wow,what time and effort. I was going to torch 'em,then thought,no,too much heat. Plasma,but it'd have to be a good sized plasma cutter to get through it cleanly-so,no holes. I'm not taking it apart just to drill holes. 1/4 mile E/T is where I live anyway and a few holes is not going to transfer very much weight. But the front will go down at least two inches real soon. Look for pics. :dance

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

drop

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

you can also take all the arch out of the springs, or buy drop springs, http://www.mopar.com has springs with 1" positive arch for $92.00 need to confirm if they will fit. Shaun I would be interested to see your drop when you get pictures :Thumbsup

Shaun
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Shaun »

Mountain, it seems like there is always something to do. I hope to have it done soon,because I need to get the underneath totally scraped,wirebrushed,wiped with a special rust concoction and then undercoat applied. I'd like to be done with the underside soon.
Be talkin to you all
Shaun

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LaA
State: CA

Post by tom-adc »

Probably wouldn't work but I wonder if a drilled front axle like the early street rods would work? Had one on a 29 5 window years ago looked great & plenty strong for a car that weight.