power streering instulation 67 D-100 HELP

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
PumpkinPeg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

power streering instulation 67 D-100 HELP

Post by PumpkinPeg »

Does anyone have any info as to what kind of power steering box could be adapted to fit into a 67 D-100?

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

Welcome to this site.

As far as your question, it's a very common one. It seems the ferd 80'-92' box seems to fit with some modification as well as some Toyota boxes.

Check this post for now;

http://www.sweptline.org/modules.php?na ... pic&t=9157

tom-adc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LaA
State: CA

Post by tom-adc »

I haven't checked into this but the idea seems sound.
Plus its a mopar part comes with rack & pinion.
http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

ford sterring box swap

Post by CLIFF »

Another member here "DigDoug " has come up with a bracket to adapt a mid 80's Ford truck powersteering box to our frame...looks stout and he claims it works great! He had a extra bracket laying around and shipped it to me so I could copy and send to the next guy...But I wont be attempting this swap until my 440/4speed swap next May.. really now that i have the bracket here i dont think you would need one to copy from ...i think you could just get a Ford box and make the bracket up yourself..I think it would be pretty self explanitory makeing the mount once you get started. I think I can make a three piece bracket that would be alitte easier then DigDoug's But i wont know until i get started on it.

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Re: power streering instulation 67 D-100 HELP

Post by JimE »

PumpkinPeg wrote:Does anyone have any info as to what kind of power steering box could be adapted to fit into a 67 D-100?
Why? I can one arm and flat palm steer both of my trucks. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Cliff,
Thanks for posting those pics.Ive been meaning to, but I realy suck at the whole picture posting thing. :banghead
Could you also post the pic;PS EJ TOWNIE w pre 69 top brace?

I also just ran across a vibration damping steering u-joint that should make the shortening of the steering column shaft easier Borgenson brg-033449 $91.69 at Summit Racing.

Doug
Last edited by digdoug on Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: power streering instulation 67 D-100 HELP

Post by digdoug »

JimE wrote:
PumpkinPeg wrote:Does anyone have any info as to what kind of power steering box could be adapted to fit into a 67 D-100?
Why? I can one arm and flat palm steer both of my trucks. Jim
I drove my yellow truck for ten years with no power steering,butI was real glad to have it after I had rotator cuff surgery. Now I can back a trailer into just about any spot with one finger.

PumpkinPeg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by PumpkinPeg »

Well Jim, you must be one big guy or the parking lots around you must be really huge!
Actually I think my truck is hard to steer cause the guy I bought it fom has put wider than stock tires on it. It looks great but if I keep yanking in this steering wheel like I am much longer I'm gonna be the only chick that looks like Popye.
Pumpkinpeg

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

The toyota conversion looks easyer... It looks like the toyota box is closer to the stock size. You may not have to go thru the trouble of cutting the steering colomn down. I doubt that ford steering box would clear the headers on my 440. :thinking

PumpkinPeg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by PumpkinPeg »

My truck has a 383 in it. Do you think this could pose a problem? I've got some wiring issues to sort out as well. Sometimes the dash lights work and others they don't. The switch gets very hot to the touch so I'll be replacing it asap and hopefully that will solve the problem. I'm thinkin it is my biggest priority right now. The power steering issue will simply have to wait for a rainy day (week?) I'll be checking out the wrecking yard around here for the Toyota parts. I almost hate to put anything other than stock in though. Can you still get stock parts?
Peg

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Peg,
You shouldn't have any issues with the 383 if you have stock center dump exaust manifolds or block hugger headers.You can find used stock power steering parts on ebay,in wrecking yards and on this forum every now and then.I have a couple good ones,but they are off 300 series trucks.D100 and 200 parts will work best for you.You might ask in the parts wanted section.I dont know much about the toyota conversion, but if you go with the ford setup,I'll be happy to help out.
Doug

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

peg,
You have a PM. :Thumbsup

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

power steering

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Peg,
Toyota box needs adaptor plate, but its not as large as the box in the photo's here, and the plate that needs to be made is also smaller, no cutting on column required, its very close to being the same size as the saginaw box you have. :Thumbsup

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

does anyone have a photo of what the adapter for the toyota box looks like?

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

power steering

I tried to buy the one from ?? customkoffins??? on ebay but what I was willing to pay vs others top price, wasn't enough to land it to my household. If the weather allows on my schedule, a few of us from Colorado are going to the yards to get a toyota box and see what needs to be done. This is one of 3 major upgrades I want done before Cruizing time next year :Thumbsup

383ADV

Toyota box

Post by 383ADV »

Has anyone here done the Toyo box swap? If I wind up keeping my rig, I'm thinking that I would really like to do it this winter, and was wondering what is involved. From what I have seen, fabricating an adapter to mount the box will not be a problem, but I'm wondering what to do for the pitman. I don't suppose the stocker will fit? If anyone has info. please e-mail me at koak@echoes.net. Thanks.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

power steering

take the top part from the toyota, and the bottom from the sweptline go to machine shop, have them joined together is one way, I'm going to do that except one more step that will allow me to flip the front axle to the top of the springs to drop it 3". :Thumbsup :usa

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: power steering

Post by CLIFF »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:take the top part from the toyota, and the bottom from the sweptline go to machine shop, have them joined together is one way, I'm going to do that except one more step that will allow me to flip the front axle to the top of the springs to drop it 3". :Thumbsup :usa

Please share the modifications involved! I so have to lower my front end its killing me!!!