What is the best power steering swap?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Old_Blue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Collins Colorado

What is the best power steering swap?

Post by Old_Blue »

I am looking for the best way to go to power steering. Ferd box,Toyota box,or a rac. Let me now what you think.Send pics of your set up!!
Mopar or no car,truck

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

I'm currently working on an old Ferd kit that is no longer around. I've had it for a few years, knowing my original stuff was not going to last.

Anyway, I'm still not done. However, today I was able to rig up my steering column(still has to be shortened)enough to get it out of my garage. Man what a difference!! I'll post pictures when I'm done.

The Toyota box will work well also. I swapped an 86' box into a 72' Bronco years ago with great ease and success.

Whatever you do, take your time in choosing. There is no really easy swap as far as I've seen on this board. But there are several ways of doing it I suppose. :2cents

Old_Blue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Old_Blue »

Thanks floorguy for the heads up!! And some pics would be great!The ferd box looked to be a clean and easy bolt on but the brackets are no longer available any more. Would that bracket be easy to coppy and make your self?
I've heard of a rackandpinion swap but haven't seen anything or now the rac they are using? :thinking
Mopar or no car,truck

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

The bracket looks machined out of tempered steel. I'm not sure how easy it would be to duplicate though. The hard part is the Ferd box itself. From what I remember, the box needs to be torn down and machined wider inside for one reason or another. It's not a stock bolt in. This kit/style seems to be no longer available, so I'd go for the Toyota kit.

However, I seem to remember a fairly recenct post on someone using an 80's Bronco box with some success. I'm not sure if he finished, but he seemed to be pleased with his progress. :thinking

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Sir

Is your truck a two or a four wheel drive truck ???

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

Old_Blue
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Old_Blue »

Its 2wd, Its the light blue one that was at your house when I brought my daughter and I down for the Colorado cruze!!
Mopar or no car,truck

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Well Sir

Jump in the car with your tool bag and a change of socks and show up here on a Friday Night. After a good night's sleep and breaksfast we'll go to A1 Auto Salvage and by $25 later we will have you a steering chuck, the pullies, steering brackets and the matching pump too.

You can be back at your place for Saturday night supper.

That's plan "A".

Rodger & Gabby
COS

ps
they just got a 400 2 bbl, manual W200 this last week.
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Powersteering

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Old_Blue did you see the powerrack nolimit has?? It would take work, more than the others but its an option.
Roger is the yard open on sunday?????
I need to come down and get some other parts.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Hola Guys & Dolls

A1 Auto Salvage ( aka "the pick & pull" ) is open from 10 AM - 2 PM on Sunday's for your shopping enjoyment.

The Saturday time is 9 AM - 3 PM.

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs