disc brakes?????

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
hotrodjohn68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

disc brakes?????

Post by hotrodjohn68 »

i want disc brakes on the 1/2ton . where nto get parts? :Thumbsup

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

disc brake

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

if you can get a 83-84 Rotor check them out, it may just slide on?? We already know that the Dakota Rotor will go on the existing spindle, however it requires a bushing over some of the threads to get more of a surface for the bearings, no one has actually seen if the Dakota spindle will bolt up to the Straight axle, or you could take months after month trying to figure out how to make chevy parts fit a dodge :thinking
look at the http://www.uglytruckling.com disc conversion it is a Dakota rotor he just didn't think to try out the spindle (go figure) to see if it would also bolt to the axle

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

John,

I believe Ben (CSS-Registry) is currently installing a set on his D100. Might want to hit him up in regards to what company he used I've forgotten sorry.

Scott
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

Allright if you want disk brakes and its not a life or death issue that you have to have all Mopar stuff. Then heres what you can do. Theres a guy that makes a caliper bracket that will bolt directly to your spindle and it lets you use Chevy 1/2 ton truck disk brake calipers and hoses 88-93 . And for rotors you have to get Ford Crown Vic rotors 95-97. I went to the local pick and pull for the calipers and rotors and scored all four pieces for $100 bucks the brackets will run you $90-$100. Then go to Napa and get a disk/drum master from any mid seventies car or truck/van....i have the part number from the one i got put up somewhere. And thats it unless you have to run new hard line from the splitter block "i call it" over to each hoses...i had to do this its real easy to do. My truck stops 100 times better then it did with the front drums! I have put 5000 miles on the disk brakes and they work flawless. And it all fits like it was made from factory. Heres my number if you want to talk specifics 636-978-0985....call anytime...im off work until next monday.....Cliff

i also have pics i can send you...i think!

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview

Post by mopardwh »

CLIFF wrote:Allright if you want disk brakes and its not a life or death issue that you have to have all Mopar stuff. Then heres what you can do. Theres a guy that makes a caliper bracket that will bolt directly to your spindle and it lets you use cheby 1/2 ton truck disk brake calipers and hoses 88-93 . And for rotors you have to get ferd Crown Vic rotors 95-97. I went to the local pick and pull for the calipers and rotors and scored all four pieces for $100 bucks the brackets will run you $90-$100. Then go to Napa and get a disk/drum master from any mid seventies car or truck/van....i have the part number from the one i got put up somewhere. And thats it unless you have to run new hard line from the splitter block "i call it" over to each hoses...i had to do this its real easy to do. My truck stops 100 times better then it did with the front drums! I have put 5000 miles on the disk brakes and they work flawless. And it all fits like it was made from factory. Heres my number if you want to talk specifics 636-978-0985....call anytime...im off work until next monday.....Cliff

i also have pics i can send you...i think!
I'm guessing the crown vic rotors still use the same 5x4.5 lug pattern?
Doug

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

I'm guessing the crown vic rotors still use the same 5x4.5 lug pattern?
Thats correct,..... all you have to do is press or hammer out the hubs from the drums on the truck drums. and the rotors work perfectly with the Chevy truck calipers using the brackets that Tallzag makes. I done the hole swap for around $250-300 bucks. That consist of salvage yard rotors and calipers. having rotors turned to clean up the little rust that was on them from sitting half in the ground, new hoses, new brake pads, new brake fittings and hard line for redoing each wheel from the splitter block to the rubber hoses and the cost of the brackets from Tallzag aka Tom 206-790-1063

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston

Post by Seabee »

Cliff,

This sounds very attractive. I'd LOVE to see some pics, and any details you'd care to provide (contact info for the brackets, parts list, tips for install, etc...)

post here or
email to:
chambersd@cox.net

THANKS!

sireland67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sireland67 »

Do you know if the mid seventys master cylinder will work with an 1971 oem power brake set-up?

CLIFF
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by CLIFF »

sireland67 wrote:Do you know if the mid seventys master cylinder will work with an 1971 oem power brake set-up?
On your 1971 do you have all drums or have you converted to disk? Call Napa these guys are more gear heads then Autozone kids . And ask them if they can find a Power master cylinder for a drum/drum setup or a power mastercylinder for a disk/drum setup which ever you have . It also has to be the 4 hole mount also. I would think theres one out there that would work. Mopar had many combinations of brake setups threw out the seventys and they used the 4 hole mount threw most seventys also I think. Napa hooked me up on finding the one I needed when I told them about the disk swap I was doing and they found me this one Napa part number 10-1572 its a 4 hole mount non-power disk/drum master that is used on many cars/truck and vans from 74-78 I think but not sure on years. there should be a power unit available for all the same vehicles.. wasnt this a option mostly back then. would have to call them with that part number to get the years it covers. Price was only $17.00

hotrodjohn68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

brakes

Post by hotrodjohn68 »

send me some pics

thanks john :Thumbsup

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston

Post by Seabee »

From the parts listed above (excluding master cyl) I looked at O'Reilly's Web page for prices;

From O'Reilly's;
(Per side)
96 Crown Victoria rotor 30
90 C1500 caliper rebuilt 18
bolts 8.50
hose 21

Being able to go from highway speed to stop.... priceless.

tallzag

Post by tallzag »

Tallzag here. Been off this board for a while but I'm back baby! We had kind of stalled on the production of these since we had some issues with the brake lines but we have everything worked out now. We send the order to the laser cutters yesterday and hoping to have a batch in next week. E-mail me at tom at tallzagauctions dot com if you want to order a set.

We have also had some questions about our rear set-up as well. We are not sure if the current version will fit a truck. We have not had the opportunity to test them on a truck yet and out biggest concern is the rear springs. We have had some clearance issues on some race cars with the calipers and are a little worried about that. If anybody wants to test the brackets on their truck we can send them a set of brackets for a discount and will take them back if they don't fit.

Hope this answers some questions!

sireland67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by sireland67 »

CLIFF wrote:
sireland67 wrote:Do you know if the mid seventys master cylinder will work with an 1971 oem power brake set-up?
On your 1971 do you have all drums or have you converted to disk? Call Napa these guys are more gear heads then Autozone kids . And ask them if they can find a Power master cylinder for a drum/drum setup or a power mastercylinder for a disk/drum setup which ever you have . It also has to be the 4 hole mount also. I would think theres one out there that would work. Mopar had many combinations of brake setups threw out the seventys and they used the 4 hole mount threw most seventys also I think. Napa hooked me up on finding the one I needed when I told them about the disk swap I was doing and they found me this one Napa part number 10-1572 its a 4 hole mount non-power disk/drum master that is used on many cars/truck and vans from 74-78 I think but not sure on years. there should be a power unit available for all the same vehicles.. wasnt this a option mostly back then. would have to call them with that part number to get the years it covers. Price was only $17.00
My truck currently has power drums, I am just reasearching what is required to do the conversion.
My truck does have the four bolt master cylinder.

I do know that the power and non-power master cylinders are different on the mid seventy's units.
The lenght of the push rod required to operate the master cylinder is a different length.

I used a mid seventy's non-power master cylinder a couple years ago on my 65 Belvedere to eliminate the single master cylinder.

Panelbeater02
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Panelbeater02 »

Check out http://www.aajbrakes.com
He has 2 and 4 wheel kits. A friend has a A-100 and is getting his basic
kit, he can get rotors and calipers local to save shipping. There is a kit for 6 cyl and 8 cyl. Other Mopars too, like A & B bodies, etc
Panelbeater