Steering Column removal questions

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Steering Column removal questions

Post by Floorguy »

I've got a 71' 2wd D-100 with an automatic tranny column.

What I'm trying to do is remove the inner shifting tube from the actual column housing. I've got the shaft out, the turn signal and top portion off. My problem is in removing the actual inner tube itself. It seems to be attached at the top somehow with the shifting handle, and the bottom has the linkage arm permanently attached. Anyone know how?

I'm doing this so I can modify/shorten it all for the Ferd power steering (ProtoTech) kit. I've got the box in, now the column needs work. It looks harder than it sounded... :thinking

Thanks,

Sean

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

I remember playing with a sloppy column after I got Howard and replaced the steering gear, but never could get it a part myself. I finally found 1 in a Tucson wrecking yard. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

I can't believe no one out there has any helpful input on this.

I can't be the only that has tried this, can I? :thinking

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Sean,
Butch Romig has the Prototech in 1 of his trucks, I don't know if its an auto or not or on the column. Are you feeling like a guinea pig yet?

I think Bill55AZ had an auto column offered up for cheap a while back it may be gone at 20., I thought about it but don't have any autos. He is up in Utah until mid October. I say you disect and document your progress via digital camera.
03 Hemi Ram 2500

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Both my son & I tried to take one apart, but sound's like we got about as far as you , & time ran out & we have not found any more to get back to it , it's still on the bench wating for us to return , If you keep at your's please do as jim ask & take the pic's & notes

:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Butch Romig
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: garnett ks

Post by Butch Romig »

my truck is a 4 spd,but even an auto column will come apart,just study it closely,seems like the actual shift tube is sorta wedged in ,cant rewmember for sure,its been a while
butch

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

Thanks Guys. I'll keep the progress posted.

And yes, I do feel like a guinea pig... :joker

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

I finally figured the darn thing out! :dance

The automatic shift tube is sort of pressed in to the top shifter housing, and held in place with a set screw. The screw is located inside the tube at the top. It is only accessible through a clever small hole on the shifting column, near where the shift handle goes in. Once it's removed, you have to work the tube out from the bottom, with a little WD-40 and some grunting of course. I did take pictures and will post them when I have time.

Now I can work on shortening & modifying it to fit the Ferd box.

I've got to say this though, this kit is NOT as easy to install as it says. The column is the tough part so far... :thinking