Wheel alignment, what should the settings be?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Wheel alignment, what should the settings be?

Post by Big_G »

I'll be replacing the tie rod ends, and I was wondering if I could do a rough wheel alignment. How much difference should there be from the front measurement and the rear measurement of the front tire? Is that in the repair CD?

Thanks,
Wayne

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Wayne are you planning on making to Willcox on Oct. 7th for the Rex Allen days Sweptline Rally and Q? Here is your measurement +/- 1/4" I think. I have done this 3 times with my wife holding 1 end of the tape. Have run them into an alignment shop and it is within specs, 3rd one is pending. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Big_G »

Thanks for the info Jim. Yes, I plan on attending. I look forward to meeting you and many of the others.

Wayne

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

my dodge book says dead zero to 1/8" as the alignment for toe in to get the easiest steering effort and least amount of tire wear. im running 1/4" because its giving a better raod feel, and the steering effort doesnt seem to be effected. i have driven the truck around 4800 miles on the new tires, and there is no sign at all of any odd tire wear. 2500 of those miles were in a one week period cruising I-10. so i would imagine something would have shown by now.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by JimE »

wideblock wrote:my dodge book says dead zero to 1/8" as the alignment for toe in to get the easiest steering effort and least amount of tire wear. im running 1/4" because its giving a better raod feel, and the steering effort doesnt seem to be effected. i have driven the truck around 4800 miles on the new tires, and there is no sign at all of any odd tire wear. 2500 of those miles were in a one week period cruising I-10. so i would imagine something would have shown by now.
And to think I just paid 49.95 to reassure what I already knew. But its peace of mind $$ well spent. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

front end alignment

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

That is the one thing I really like about the straight axle, actually 2 things I like, #1. is the fact when the axle is aligned it holds the alignment forever! I had mine done in 1990 and its hold true every since. #2. Less moving parts, which translate to less money spent on replacing parts. THIS IS HUGE :Thumbsup

mopar400
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bloomingdale, GA

Post by mopar400 »

I found a usefull tip when setting the toe. Before setting, place a plastic garbage bag under each front wheel. This allows the tires to move and acts like a turn plate. If not your setting will change when the vehicle is moved. Mopar400
70 Challenger 506hp 440, 727, 11.29@120mph
1965 Fury II(in pieces)

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by JimE »

I have always done mine up on a jack or jackstands, but that is useful advice. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500