Bench Bled?

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
LostHuman

Bench Bled?

Post by LostHuman »

I notice peole talking about the master cylinder being bench bled... educate me, and tell me what that means? I am racking my head :banghead trying to figure out what that means... thanks...

scoutski
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by scoutski »

This refers to bleeding the master cylinder while it is out of the vehicle and on the work bench.
The procedure is to make a closed loop by attaching a fitting to the outlet/s and routing a piece of tubing from this fitting/s back into the resevior. Fill the resevior with brake fluid then push the piston in and release it. Continue doing this untill no bubbles appear from the tube/s. Be sure to keep the ends of the tubing submerged in the fluid.
This makes the brake bleeding at the wheels faster as you are not pushing a slug of air thru the brake lines.
My 2c.
Scoutski
68 W200 PW (sold to Big-J)with a 76 200 por nada
77 Scout II Original
74 Scout II SSII clone
69 800 Gold Key
65 80-800 parts
68 1300 PU with venerable 266
76 Scout II XLC parts truck
55 R110 PU parts???

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Bench bleeding is critical when replacing a master cylinder. It can take a while, but it will take forever if you try to do it on the vehicle.

Part of the process is to make sure and push the piston ALL THE WAY in on the bench. If most likely isn't possible to depress the piston all the way when on the vehicle.

LostHuman

Thank YOU Thank YOU Thank YOU!!!

Post by LostHuman »

Thanks for all the inputs and for educating me.. it went well... trucks stops nicely. Thanks again.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

"Bench Bled"
This term also applies when the sharp screwdriver you're using to push
in the piston slips and goes clear through your wrist on the arm you're
using to hold the top of the master cyl. steady.... [also known as a
partial crucifixion]. Always try to use a blunt object :Thumbsup
John

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Good Definition!

A vise is also highly reccomended to hold the Master Cylinder! :2cents

thorman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Nope
State: Foreign

Post by thorman »

[quote="nfury8"]Bench bleeding is critical when replacing a master cylinder. It can take a while, but it will take forever if you try to do it on the vehicle....[quote]

Hey I,m new to this site and have a question about bench bleeding. I bench bled a rebuilt master cylinder for my 70 D100 last night and was planning on installing it today. Now I'm concerned that I might not have bled it enough. When do you know when the bleeding is done? I know that there aren't supposed to be any bubbles in the fluid, and I thought I'd done that. I'm still getting miniscule bubbles in the bleeder tubes that don't seem to be going away. A little help PLEASE!

Goldie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Goldie »

If you are sure all your fittings are tight and you have kept the ends of the tubes from the reservior submerged in the fluid, then the bubbles will eventually all disapear. some patience may be required but it will happen. The bleeder kit is usually supplied with a new master cyl. but not always. They are available separately. The whole idea is to get the air in the master out before you hook up your brake lines to the wheels. If you do not bench bleed, you can get the air out eventually, but I don't want to be the one helping you do it. Possible leaving the master sit level overnight so the air bubbles can form one bubble may help. Good luck and have patience..............Goldie :Thumbsup
63 9 pass fury wagon
US NAVY, 1968 -1972 HS-5, 7, 9, NAS quonset pt. Essex, Wasp, Intrepid, Independence, Forrestal, Saratoga
I didn't do it and if I did I don't remember.

thorman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Nope
State: Foreign

Post by thorman »

Thanks Goldie, I let the master cylinder sit in the vise overnight after bench bleeding it, before reinstalling, and that took care of the problem :salut