Brake drums needed, or 4 wheel disc conversion.

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
dwc43
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Brake drums needed, or 4 wheel disc conversion.

Post by dwc43 »

I have a '70 D300 Car Hauler with a Dana 70 in it. When I got this truck it had decent brakes even loaded with a 2500 lb 4 cyl car on it's back. I put around 100 miles on it. Got in it to move it and had no brakes. I figured bad master. Tried more than one and no go.
Decided I better check the wheel adjusters and found them run all the way out. When I got the drum off I found it damaged the threads cause it really ran it all the way out. There is at least a 1/2" groove in the drum at the lip. The whole brake drum surface is warn down that far.
I can get new front drums but not rears. The local parts stores show that '68 - '71 will work but they are not available.

I found and e mailed 3 different sources for a 4 wheel disc conversion and they said not for a dually. If I could find some rotors that would fit I could make the rest myself in my race shop.

My other option is to ditch the stouter Dana 70 and go with a newr modle Dana 60 out of a Ford U haul that I found in a local yard.

Anybody got any ideas on what I can do to get brakes back on this truck?

Here's the link for my post in the parts wanted section too. http://www.sweptline.org/modules.php?na ... pic&t=8800

Bought ready to give up on this thing. :banghead :censored
Check out our club at http://www.musiccitymoparclub.com

dashshifter
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dashshifter »

Hi, if it were me I'd go for the Dana 60. Granted the 70 is way stouter but I doubt you'll tear up the 60 unless you really try to (and maybe not even then). Steve
Steven Reinke
'67 D-100
'68 D-100
What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.
Samuel Clemens