brakes

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Guy

brakes

Post by Guy »

Ok here is my situation.
I have a 71 d100. I have drum brakes all around and a 440. The front tires are skinny 4" drag tires the rear end has wide meats, also the rear end is an 8 3/4 with a 489 case posi so I am assuming its a Dana 60?
(bought the truck off of ebay and it looks alot like the cartoon truck above)
So I am thinking I'd like to put disc brakes BUT in the REAR as the front would probably just lock up based on how narrow the front tires are.
Is that making any sense? can a proportioning valve balance out a rear disc/ front drum setup?? I know about ugly trucklings disc front kit but it seems like alot of work for little pay off based on my wheel tire selection.
I read somewhere that a mid ford pickup could supply me the rear disc setup with out too much hassle. If anyone could point me in the right direction. Also I have a manual master cyclinder.
Thanks,
G

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

wilwood company offers an adjustable proportioning valve, you can put it on then go out and play with it till you get the balance you prefer. upgrading to power brakes would be my first start, and the adjustable valve, and see how that leaves you. might just be good like that without the disc conversion.
if you have an 8.75 rear end, then its not a dana 60, those are 2 totally different creatures. but the 489 case is a good one. pick you up a copy of mopar muscle, in the back they have kits advertised for chargers, roadrunners, etc. to put rear disc on the 8.75. they will work on your truck the same as they will on the car, and there are a few other places that offer front disc conversions, im sure someone here can fill you in on who they are. but judging by your wheel tire combo, and adjustable valve, and an upgrade to power brakes would suit your needs just fine. i used to have a high 12, low 13 second nove that ran 4wheel power drum, bigs in back, skinnys up front, wilwood valve, and semi metallic shoes. never had a problem with it :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

Trey has it right on info above.......
Just add to what he has said....
The 489 case very close to being as good as a Dana 60 (and
is as good as the Ford 9" (Ford copied the design from the 8 3/4);
it is darn hard to brake this case, pinon is a tapered fit to the yoke which
incresses that area of the pinon to yoke mating surface (28spline) over the old 742 case which had a 1 3/4" strait fit pinon used behind many of
the 426hemi 727 cars.
The 489 could have a Dana sure grip installed (limited slip) or
Auburn cone type sure grip and the Dana Green bearings on the axles (best to add this to a 8.75 that is used
for the strip).
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

Guy

Brakes

Post by Guy »

Well the truck had a hemi in it prior to my buying it and was swapped out to a 440, then I picked it up off of ebay. I think it has the Auburn in it. So I need to measure but perhaps the rear brakes are big enough. I am currently putting a gas tank under the bed as the stock tank was leaking upon the trucks delivery. (Last time I buy a vechile via ebay) but overall still a nice truck. Thanks for all the info I will post some pix as I get it running again. The truck was set up as a drag truck with ladder bars a reverse manual valve body etc. What kind of brakes are on the back now do you suppose?
Guy

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

id bet money on the stockers with some heavy duty parts. nothing wrong with that at all, these trucks had pretty good brakes.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100