Rear Spring/Wheelbase problem

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Rear Spring/Wheelbase problem

Post by Jims68 »

Since I put the bed back on the truck after I painted it, I have been looking at my 68 D-100 shortbed noticing that the rear wheel looks like it is setting too far forward. So, I look at my ID tag, and it says my WB is 114". WRONG! it is 112 3/4". (There abouts) What is going on here? I am thinking, that someone at sometime has swapped the rear springs...?? Although, they look as if they have not been off. Now, here comes part of the mystery... When I got the truck, it had another set of rear springs in the bed... Hmmmmm..... (Yes, I still have them). Now, I clean off some of the dirt and such from the "spare" springs, and I found this number. 1937582 I find it in the 63-68 parts book, but.. it is a little beyond my understanding of how to read it for the springs (Too many variations). SO, I measure the spring from the bushing to the centering pin, guess what, it is 1 1/4 longer (Approx) than the one in the truck. SO, what I am asking, would these be the CORRECT springs for the 114" wheel base? Sorry, the numbers on the springs on the 68 are no longer visible. Need help on this I was hoping to get some info from:

http://www.espo.com/

but, they don't list rear springs for a 61-71 PU. What are your takes on this dilema? I am thinking, I should just change out the springs to the spare set. How many leafs should my 68 D-100 Shorty have?

Jim

PS I did get only one response over at Norms site, and Steve said,

"they both might be turned around, i remember my grandpa told me that the 70 came from the factory with one right and one backwards, so it made the truck "crawdad" down the road.
take a measurement and ill bet you find that they are just a bit longer in one direction.
you might just have to flip em front to back and you will be in business."

I checked, and BOTH sides measure the same.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

i would say the set on there is probably from the wrong year, and the set in the bed is whats original to the truck. how many leafs on each? maybe the newer set was put on for an improvment in load handling?
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Trey, I DID swap out the springs today. The springs that were in the bed when I got it are now on the truck. They bring the wheelbase to the Dodge spec 114". :clap I feel so much better about this now. The room in the fender well looks so much more "normal" too. OH, as far as the leafs go, the springs that I took OFF had 6 leafs, The 6th leaf was a FAT short leaf at the bottom. Probably for heavy loads. The springs that I installed today have only 5 leafs, and they were the same thickness on each leaf. It does sit a little more level now too. It used to have a "COOL" rake to it with the incorrect springs.

Jim :Thumbsup