Rear air ride install!!!!!!!

Suspension, Brakes, Tires, Wheels steeringetc..
fosh69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Firestone
State: CO

Post by fosh69 »

:Thumbsup Lookin' sweet, bro!

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Air Ride

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

That is lookin good :Thumbsup

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

old school is the one crossmember all you had to notch or is that the only thing in the way? also, how's your pinion angle and what did you set it at?
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

old_school

Post by old_school »

slick wrote:old school is the one crossmember all you had to notch or is that the only thing in the way? also, how's your pinion angle and what did you set it at?
Yeah I notched the crossmember and the driveshaft completly clears everything except the rear of the cab. It needed a little persuasion. :lol: I just tapped the bottom of the cab with a large hammer because the driveshaft was just barely touching the cab with all the air out of the bags. I set my pinion angle at 2.5 degrees negative.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

I had to massively persuade my truck cab...especially after Z ing the front clip...I had to build a completely new tunnel and cut out the back...I actually had to take out all of my crossmembers because there was no way my driveshaft would clear, but it's a different frame so things are a little different...I thought about setting my pinion negative, but I heard bad things about it...then I heard others say theres no problem with it, so who knows...what's the angle at ride height and have you driven it yet to see if there are any vibrations? cool...you're truck is going to be bad @#% :Thumbsup
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara

old_school

Post by old_school »

slick wrote:I had to massively persuade my truck cab...especially after Z ing the front clip...I had to build a completely new tunnel and cut out the back...I actually had to take out all of my crossmembers because there was no way my driveshaft would clear, but it's a different frame so things are a little different...I thought about setting my pinion negative, but I heard bad things about it...then I heard others say theres no problem with it, so who knows...what's the angle at ride height and have you driven it yet to see if there are any vibrations? cool...you're truck is going to be bad @#% :Thumbsup
Thanks slick, I have not driven my truck yet but I did some extensive research on the pinion angle and a lot of the major shops install there pinion angles any where from 1-3 degrees negative. Its amazing, depending on who you ask, everyone has a different answer when it comes to pinion angles. I am not certain but I think that air ride technologies even suggests a couple degrees negative. I have always heard to definitely not go positive though. I could only imagine how much you would have to have tunneled the cab if you z'd the front. The fact that i didnt z the front is the only thing that is saving me from having do do so to mine, but I cant lay out in the front like you can. I did order some 2" drop spindles for my Mustang II front and the front should only be 3" off the ground so it will be close. My bed is less than an inch from laying out completely. I did take one of the crosmembers out of my frame and move it back a few inches so it would be behind the c notch. I can't wait to wrap up the suspension because I have a 340 and all of the parts waiting to be built and go in.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Will you have to tub the area between the wheel
wells to accomodate your new suspension?
John

old_school

Post by old_school »

Hobcobble wrote:Will you have to tub the area between the wheel
John
yes, that is the only downside to it. I will be losing some hauling space but the dynamic changes to the overall appearance are worth it to me. i like em low!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

old_school wrote:
Hobcobble wrote:Will you have to tub the area between the wheel
John
yes, that is the only downside to it. I will be losing some hauling space but the dynamic changes to the overall appearance are worth it to me. i like em low!
I look at it as a small price to pay for a real
cool suspension set up :Thumbsup
John

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

You could always just raise the whole floor inside the bed too. That would give you a flat floor, a better place for a fuel tank, and maybe even a place to store some stuff. Use the area under it, but above the frame. :thinking Get what I mean?
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

old_school

Post by old_school »

OregonDodgeboy wrote:You could always just raise the whole floor inside the bed too. That would give you a flat floor, a better place for a fuel tank, and maybe even a place to store some stuff. Use the area under it, but above the frame. :thinking Get what I mean?
yeah i toyed with that idea in my head as well, i am liking the idea of tubbing the center and doing a wood floor in front of and behind the tub.